Scientist, Strain Engineering
La Jolla, CA, US
At Synthetic Genomics, Inc., we are dedicated to developing and commercializing genomic-driven solutions to address global challenges. We are currently seeking a Scientist to join our fast-growing, dynamic and collaborative team in La Jolla, CA.
The Scientist will apply knowledge in strain engineering, metabolic engineering, and algal physiology to achieve deliverables leading to commercially viable algae for the production of fuels and high-value chemicals. The successful candidate will have extensive experience in metabolic engineering and strain design, as well as screening and selection techniques to improve algal productivity. A good working knowledge of FACS and metabolic modeling techniques are desirable.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Scientist will work with project leads and teams of scientists, contributing significant intellectual input into the design of experiments, employing advanced techniques to improve the efficiency of developing strains.
- Carefully execute laboratory experiments, including growth of photosynthetic microbes under meticulously defined conditions.
- Contribute to the design, building and testing of metabolic engineering strategies to improve algal productivity.
- Design and set up innovative screens and selections to improve algal productivity.
- Consistently demonstrate initiative in implementing projects and/or necessary work.
- Regularly present results to internal and external stakeholders.
- Keep organized and detailed documentation. Develop SOPs for documentation and knowledge transfer.
- Keep up to date with current literature in strain engineering and implement new technologies as relevant.
- Requires a Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Molecular/Cell Biology, Plant Biology, or a related field and 0-3 years of relevant postdoctoral or industrial experience, or a Master’s degree with at least 5 years industrial experience.
- Broad and detailed experience with metabolic engineering of photosynthetic organisms.
- Experience setting up effective screens and selections.
- Working knowledge and experience with modern nucleic acid sequence analysis and other bioinformatics tools is desirable.
- Must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills to facilitate interactions with a highly interdisciplinary team.
- Experience working with eukaryotic algae or other microbial photoautotrophs is an advantage.
- Programming and data analysis skills are highly desirable.