Regeneron is seeking a Patent Attorney to help lead a fast-growing portfolio of applications filed from the Regeneron Genetics Center, including foundational inventions centered around gene variant to phenotype associations, pharmacogenetics and precision medicine, polygenic risk scores, and models of human genetics, all of which support Regeneron's preclinical and clinical pipelines. The position will assist in developing and adapting a patent procurement strategy in the highly dynamic area of genetics research. You will have the opportunity to develop direct relationships with Regeneron's scientists and research support teams to continue building the genetics patent portfolio, and assist in drafting, filing, and prosecuting patent applications around the world.
This position also presents an exciting growth opportunity to become involved with Regeneron's efforts to support positive reforms in the area of national patent policy and patent legislation. You will be an active participant in one of the most progressive IP Teams displaying the highest legal and ethical standards.
A typical day may include:
• Assisting in patent procurement for genetics-based platform technologies, including those related to variant-phenotype associations, siRNA, precision medicine, and analytical platform/bioinformatics technologies.
• Developing close relationships with scientists and research group leaders, and working with these individuals to identify new inventions and devise a patent procurement strategy.
• Working directly with scientists and outside counsel to draft patent applications and responses to office actions.
• Staying ahead of legislative developments, as well as case law developments from the courts and the USPTO Patent Trial and Appeal Board, particularly in the area of subject matter eligibility.
• Developing close relationships with scientific and business groups in various core research areas (e.g., genetics/bioinformatics, mouse disease models, inhibitory nucleic acids, etc.), and understanding preclinical and clinical research and development objectives.
This role might be for you if you:
• Enjoying working independently, but also as part of a team.
• Can coordinate outside counsel and internal partners advance the patent process
• Can provide thoughtful legal advice to colleagues and partners on an array of issues in an evolving legal environment
• Have exceptional oral and written communication skills and can provide independent judgment and an objective perspective.
• Work with colleagues and clients in a highly collaborative environment.
To be considered for this role you must possess a Ph.D. in the life sciences (e.g., molecular biology, genetics, biochemistry or related subject areas). A Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school; Admitted to practice before the USPTO and licensed to practice law in at least one state (member of the NY bar or eligible for in-house licensure in NY); 1-3 years of experience in a law firm setting (with or without corporate law department experience) preparing and prosecuting patent applications in the biological arts. Strong organizational skills and ability to lead multiple projects and a sophisticated docket with minimal direction. Outstanding communication skills, including presentation, interpersonal, writing and conflict resolution.
Does this sound like you? Apply now to take your first steps toward living the Regeneron Way! We have an inclusive and diverse culture that provides amazing benefits including health and wellness programs, fitness centers and stock for employees at all levels!
Regeneron is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion or belief (or lack thereof), sex, nationality, national or ethnic origin, civil status, age, citizenship status, membership of the Traveler community, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, familial status, marital or registered civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity status, gender identity, gender reassignment, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic in accordance with applicable laws and regulations. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application process. Please contact us to discuss any accommodations you think you may need.