Manager, Clinical Contracts & Outsourcing
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Job Title : Manager, Clinical Contracts & Outsourcing
The Clinical Contracts & Outsourcing Manager acts as the first line of contact for all vendors and R&D business partners and provides support of clinical outsourcing strategy with a level of expertise for a single compound across a mediumlarge portfolio. Clinical Contracts & Outsourcing Manager will collaborate with clinical project development, vendor management, strategic sourcing, finance, legal, and other internal stakeholders to secure services for our clinical trials.
• Influences and strategically manages the linkages across functional areas, including quality, regulatory, clinical, statistics, legal, purchasing and finance to drive the successful implementation of the outsourcing strategy for an assigned project or program within a single therapeutic area or multiple therapeutic areas with comparable dollar values.
• Independently lead the RFP and RFI process, analyze supplier services, budgets and proposals, conduct bid defense meetings, award vendor, negotiate and execute complex agreements (i.e., CRO, study related collaboration agreements, risk based recruitment agreements and imaging agreements) up to $250 MM Committted Spend annually including unique non-preferred provider contracts.
• Provide effective communication and recommendations to the business with support from the SME to ensure Abbvie receives the best value for the contracted service. Accountable for the development and successful execution of contract implementation plan which includes implementing the sourcing strategy to ensure timelines are met while maintaining compliance with all applicable policies and procedures.
• Actively monitors study progress for possible changes in study scope to ensure timely change order implementation and finalization utilizing advanced knowledge to drive the negotiation of the change orders and associated costs to minimize the risk to AbbVie. Manages expectations and mitigates risk by providing strategic solutions for issues and executes final agreements/change orders with minimal guidance and support.
• May lead or contribute as a subject matter expert on key projects, initiatives, and committees including governance vendor meetings to identify and implement process improvements and standards while ensuring AbbVie’s business needs and purchasing/compliance requirements are met.
• May provide leadership and guidance to develop other team members via mentoring and coaching.
• Acts as the first line of contact for issue escalation related to contracts and budgets. Independently identifies, escalates and manages non-preferred provider vendor performance issues and develops and implements solutions to ensure overall performance, compliance, and quality. Provides education of internal stakeholders on key contractual terms and obligations to ensure compliance and understanding as the business partners execute the work performed under the contract
• BA/BS or equivalent related work experience is required; Degree in healthcare, legal and/or finance preferred.
• Minimum 6 years of extensive experience in research, industry or legal setting with pharmaceutical industry experience in clinical outsourcing contracting or finance is required. Higher years of experience required without degree.
• Must have demonstrated ability in negotiation and project management skills with the ability to coordinate across overall engagement objectives and maintain open lines of communication between the internal stakeholders and the service providers.
• Ability to build internal and external relationships to effectively and independently provide leadership and mentoring to other team members to strategically drive the business and solve issues efficiently and mitigate risk.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.