Senior Scientist I/II Computational Genomics- General Medicine
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Genomics Research Center (GRC) is a center of excellence for genetics and genomics that supports both Discovery and Development. The GRC plays an integral role towards our goal of developing world class genetics and genomics research, focusing on finding the right targets and helping us better understand not only human disease biology but also the behavior of and response to our drugs in clinical trials. The GRC works across all R&D, and with multiple other business areas such as Process Sciences and Corporate Strategy.
Within the GRC, the Department of Bioinformatics and Computational Biology is a team of more than 60 computational scientist responsible for executing genomics data analysis and providing analytical insight for both internal and external projects. We are seeking an experienced computational biologist to support drug development efforts in the area of General Medicine. Abbvie has diverse assets supporting Women’s Health and Virology including HIV and Coronavirus at varying levels of the drug development pipeline. The ideal candidate would work closely with clinical teams in General Medicine and Discovery scientists to answer questions relevant to each drug development program.
- Support bioinformatics for ongoing and new research projects in women’s health, cystic fibrosis, and virology
- Develop working knowledge of relevant therapeutic areas and treatment modalities to contribute to the larger team mission.
- Work closely with scientific teams to design experiments, analyze data and communicate results to an audience with a wide range of backgrounds and expertise.
- Present research at external conferences and work toward both independent and collaborative publications
- Work with bioinformatics engineers to optimize newly developed computational pipelines into reproducible workflows executable by other bioinformaticians
- Identify biomarkers of drug response and adverse events using internal omics data (e.g. expression microarrays, bulk RNAseq, GWAS, DNA methylation arrays, OLINK, targeted sequencing) from clinical trials
- Use public and internal omics data to investigate potential drug targets
Position will be hired based on level of education & experience.
- PhD in Statistical Genetics, Biostatistics, Statistics, Bioinformatics, Genetics, or closely related field, with expertise in method development and practical application
- Typically 0-4+ years of experience in industry or academic
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute custom computational analysis plans
- Ability to summarize analytical results and derive biological/clinical interpretation.
- Strong communication skills
- Fluency in one or more or relevant programming languages, such as R, Python, Java, or C++
- Experience with commonly used tools in genomics (e.g. PLINK, bcftools, samtools, limma, edgeR, DESeq, fine-mapping software, gene set enrichment analysis methods)
- Evidence of independent research capability including hypothesis development, experimental design and execution, data interpretation, problem solving, and project management
- The ideal candidates will have a high degree of statistical and mathematical competency with experience applying these skills to problems in genomics, pharmacology, or other relevant areas (e.g. demonstrated with relevant publications).
- Proven track record of teamwork, adaptability, innovation, initiative, and integrity
- Working experience in biopharma industry.
Key AbbVie Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence” and can change the course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.