Senior Scientist / Principal Scientist, In vitro Pharmacology
Rain Therapeutics is committed to building a passionate team of core business leaders to execute on our vision to identify and execute on the development of novel therapeutic avenues for the treatment of cancer. The personality of Rain will always be focused on entrepreneurs with autonomy to build their respective teams in a flat organizational structure.
The Sr Scientist / Principal Scientist will be a key contributor to the development and execution of ongoing drug discovery projects. You will achieve this by applying your technical expertise in cell and molecular biology to create and run biochemical and cellular assays, measuring the ability of novel anticancer agents to modulate specific DNA repair pathways and mechanisms. You will also work in multi-disciplinary collaborations with CROs and leading academics, involving a high level of teamwork. Appointment will be at either Senior Scientist or Principal Scientist level depending on experience.
Rain is seeking an enthusiastic, driven, skilled and detail-oriented scientist who will partner well within the rapidly growing enterprise. The successful candidate will have a stellar work ethic, the flexibility and organizational skills to manage numerous and sometimes competing responsibilities of varying urgency within a fast-paced environment.
The Senior Scientist/Principal Scientist will report to the VP, Biology and Non-Clinical Development.
- Ph.D. in biological sciences and minimum of 5 years of relevant hands-on experience in DNA damage response pathways or discovery with oncology focus
- Broad knowledge of cancer biology required, with expertise in synthetic lethality or the DNA damage repair field highly preferred. Experience working in the DNA damage response field will be a distinct advantage.
- Proven track record in biochemical & cell-based assay development and screening, ideally within an industrial drug discovery setting
- Extensive experience in standard laboratory techniques, including hands-on experience with CRISPR, RNAi, reporter assays and small molecule inhibitor treatment of cancer cell lines
- Develop, validate, and execute biochemical and screening assays to identify and characterize drug candidates in our pipeline of DNA repair-modulating small molecules
- Perform mechanism of action studies to better understand how our drug candidates are affecting DNA damage repair pathways and genomic stability
- Key contributor to the discovery research team, with broad responsibility helping us make novel discoveries to advance our pipeline assets
- Identification and validation of cancer indications and contexts dependent on our drug targets to assist the clinical development of our programs
- Work closely with our multi-disciplinary team of scientists, and interact with external CRO partners to generate novel hypotheses and advance our scientific priorities
- Maintain up to date knowledge of advancements in the field and new laboratory techniques and technologies
- Organize and present experimental results at regular internal meetings
- Maintain accurate, well-organized experimental records
- Deep understanding of DNA damage response biology, DNA repair pathways and cancer cell biology is highly desirable
- Excellent technical cell and molecular biology skills (e.g. D-loop assays, homologous recombination specific assays, SPR, single strand annealing, flow cytometry, imaging, cell culture, viability assays, reporter assays, etc) and a proven ability to apply these skills to cell-based assay development and screening
- Experience with NGS technologies is preferred, and familiarity with pathway analysis and bioinformatic data analysis is a plus
- Experience of drug discovery is desirable
- Experience working in an industrial setting will be a distinct advantage
Qualities for Success:
- Detail-oriented, self-motivated team player, with the ability to work independently
- Well organized and able to maintain detailed records of experimental work
- Ability to communicate clearly and decisively in an open, timely manner
- Ability to effectively work independently in a team environment
- A sense of adventure and excitement to help build a successful company and work in a highly dynamic team environment
- Experience working in a fast-paced startup
- Presentation skills, including preparation of presentation materials in slide format
Rain Therapeutics is an equal opportunity employer, and we’re proud of our ongoing efforts to foster diversity & inclusion in the workplace. Individuals seeking employment at Rain are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, ancestry, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.