RWE Director, Data Strategy & Sourcing
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The RWE Director, Data Sourcing and Strategy will lead the group within the Real-World Evidence Center of Expertise responsible for engaging with the RWE Analytics team and HEOR-Strategy team to identify and examine their RWD needs and priorities relevant to a therapeutic area/asset/brand. This includes maintaining awareness of industry trends for partnership opportunities and new data and research platforms that may meet business needs and facilitate innovative research opportunities for the AbbVie TAs. In addition, the role will also be responsible for establishing a partnership ecosystem internally and externally to expand RWD capabilities and ensure enterprise-wide awareness and coordination of data assets to optimize the efficiency of internal resources and data investments. In addition, this role will be responsible for leading/participating in enterprise-wide initiatives such as the R&D initiative, Convergence and RWD Committee.
- Lead/participate in evaluation and development of real-world data sourcing, strategy and governance with key cross-functional stakeholders (eg, BTS, Epi, Legal, Medical Affairs, Genomics Center)
- Lead integration and linkages of Abbvie-generated research data, implementing a common data model and enhancing interface capabilities to allow for easy, appropriate access to data
- Maintains knowledge of and access to leading RWD and Big Data industry innovations for
- AbbVie across all therapeutic areas and potential use cases
- Leading the efforts to identify critical capability gaps within the RWE function and at AbbVie (more broadly) and building a data partnership ecosystem
- Contributing to the RWD CoE data strategy, identification of innovative data sources, and connecting to enterprise data initiatives (i.e. Convergence, Fusion, etc.)
- Raising AbbVie external recognition through thought leadership in the RWE and analytics application space.
- Contribute to continuous improvement and development of HEOR function through leadership of functional initiatives and change management. Role model leadership behaviors to promote desired culture.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- PhD in Economics, Health Services or related field. PharmD or MD will be considered if individual holds Master’s degree in Health Economics, Health Services or related field.
- Relevant pharmaceutical industry experience is essential. Minimum of 7+ years of experience is required
- Prior leadership experience within a pharmaceutical company, RWD function, HEOR, analytics, strategy, and/or similar function is required
- Extensive knowledge of data science, including IT infrastructure (servers, databases, data lakes, etc) is important. Previous experience in SAS coding and working with open source software (i.e. Hadoop) is recommended.
- Demonstrated strategic thinker with ability to convert strategies into relevant and timely deliverables.
- Technical knowledge in related competencies including RWD types, common analytic methods, and practical use cases;
- Knowledge of external RWD / Big Data partner and innovative use case landscape;
- Creative construction, negotiation, and mobilization of multi-stakeholder partnerships and commercial arrangements;
- Evidence of strategic thinking and is able to effectively communicate the impact of proposed plans and actions; Experience with developing and implementing strategic and operating planning processes;
- Executive presence and ability to interact effectively with all levels of the organization;
- Able to motivate and channel energy of others toward a clear purpose;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with external customers and experts;
- Experience in leading and managing change, including a track record of flexible, out-of-the-box thinking and responding effectively to rapidly changing requirements;
- Strong desire to reach challenging goals and continuously improve;
- Works tenaciously through difficulties to achieve best results.
- Travel – Position requires up to 10% travel
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.