We are a VC-backed startup developing in vivo genetic medicines to engineer the transcriptome and genome of diseased cells. We are building a team of resourceful and creative scientists and engineers with a passion for developing new technologies and engineering biological systems. We are combining protein and nucleic acid engineering, high-throughput screening, genomics, and computational biology to build a platform for rapid development and optimization of new therapies. We are located in South San Francisco.
About this role:
We are seeking a Research Assistant to join our team to develop new methods for engineering RNA and DNA. This individual will work on projects focused on engineering cell lines, primary cells, and tissues with programmable RNA and DNA targeting systems. The ideal candidate has a strong interest in technology development, experience with diverse technologies and disciplines, and enjoys working in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Culture, maintenance, and transfection of cell lines, primary cells, and tissues
- Design and analysis of genome and transcriptome editing experiments
- Purification of DNA and RNA, preparation of libraries for Illumina sequencing
- qPCR, flow cytometry and fluorescence-based microscopy
- Experience with molecular cloning, qPCR, RNA techniques, plasmid transfection, flow cytometry and/or fluorescence microscopy
- Experience with maintenance and manipulation of human and/or mouse primary cells or stem cells
- Familiar with scientific software for analyzing and reporting data
- Commitment to rigor in scientific research
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Highly collaborative and team-oriented
Education / Experience:
- BS/MS in molecular and cell biology, biochemistry, or a related discipline
- Minimum of 2 years of independent research experience
Prior experience with-
- High-throughput assay development and automation
- NGS library preparation, sequencing, and analysis
- CRISPR-based genome editing;
- RNA- or DNA- targeted CRISPR-Cas systems,
- Pooled functional screens with complex libraries (e.g. CRISPRi, CRISPRa, RNAi, shRNA)
- Protein engineering; directed evolution, PACE, or RNA engineering
- Confocal microscopy and/or high content imaging
- Flow cytometry
- Basic command line proficiency (e.g., working knowledge of Linux, Python)
While we work to develop treatments that take care of others, we also work to care for our employee’s professional and personal growth and well-being. We offer a competitive compensation package including employee ownership and excellent benefits. Our benefits package includes highly subsidized health plans, flexible time off and an extraordinary culture. Apply today to be part of a challenging work environment with exceptional colleagues, strong scientific rigor, and the opportunity to make a difference.
We are an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
How to Apply
Please include a CV and cover letter explaining why you want to work with us and how you are qualified for this role.
This opportunity is full-time only. No contractors, consultancies or recruiters will be considered.