Cell Engineering Scientist
About the Company:
We are a VC-backed startup developing in vivo genetic medicines to engineer the transcriptome and genome of diseased cells. We are building a team of resourceful and creative scientists and engineers with a passion for developing new technologies and engineering biological systems. They are combining protein and nucleic acid engineering, high-throughput screening, genomics and computational biology to build a platform for rapid development and optimization of new therapies. We are located in South San Francisco.
About this role:
We are seeking a Scientist to join our team to develop new approaches to engineering RNA and DNA in cells. This individual will focus on both the design of genetic medicines to target specific diseases, and on the delivery of these therapeutic payloads to the appropriate tissues. The ideal candidate has a strong interest in technology development, experience with diverse technologies and disciplines, and enjoys working in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Engineering of cell lines, primary cells and cells with programmable RNA and DNA binding systems
- Optimization and development of genome and transcriptome engineering systems for use as in vivo genetic medicines
- Screening high throughput, pooled, and arrayed libraries to optimize activity of genome and transcriptome engineering systems
- Development of approaches for delivery payloads to specific cell and tissue types in vivo
- Design and analysis of animal model studies
- Experimental prowess in primary cell tissue culture and engineering
- Familiarity with scientific software for analyzing and reporting data
- Mammalian synthetic biology and pathway engineering
- NGS library preparation, sequencing, and analysis
- Commitment to rigor in scientific research
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Highly collaborative and team-oriented
Education / Experience:
- PhD or equivalent in Bioengineering, Biophysics, Synthetic Biology, Cell Design or Engineering, Physics, Molecular or Cell Biology or a related discipline
- Meaningful experience with high-throughput molecular or synthetic biology
- Background in cell engineering using genome editing and transcriptional regulation systems (e.g. CRISPRn, CRISPRi, CRISPRa, RNAi, shRNA, etc.
- Experience in mammalian synthetic biology and pathway engineering
- Familiarity with NGS library preparation, sequencing, and analysis
- Experience developing functional genomic screens (e.g. CRISPRn, CRISPRi, CRISPRa, shRNA, siRNA)
- Proficiency in Python, R, and analysis of genome-scale data
- Research interests in genetic disease, immunology or neurobiology
- Experience with confocal microscopy and/or high content imaging
- Demonstrated expertise in high-throughput assay development and automation
- Background in mammalian protein engineering; directed evolution, PACE, or RNA engineering
While we work to develop treatments that take care of others, we also work to care for our employee’s professional and personal growth and well-being. We offer a competitive compensation package including employee ownership and excellent benefits. Our benefits package includes highly subsidized health plans, flexible time off and an extraordinary culture. Apply today to be part of a challenging work environment with exceptional colleagues, strong scientific rigor, and the ability to make a difference.
We are an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
How to Apply
Please include a CV and cover letter explaining why you want to work with us and how you are qualified for this role.
This opportunity is full-time only. No contractors, consultancies or recruiters will be considered.