Director, Innovation (Commercial)
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Innovation group works side-by-side with the AbbVie executive team on many of the most pressing issues facing the organization, both in the short term and long term. Guidance from this team will have a direct impact on the future success of AbbVie.
As a Director of Innovation, you will partner with leaders across AbbVie, be a high performing team member who has demonstrated an interest and expertise in the biopharma industry, demonstrate strong desire to advance our strategic agenda and support mission-critical initiatives that will make a real difference for AbbVie’s patients. The Innovation group will provide high profile and high impact development experiences for team members.
- Lead high profile initiatives in partnership with the AbbVie Commercial organization. Develop and deliver executive updates for business reviews and new findings.
- Develop cross-functional understanding of highest-priority commercial questions, identify the most critical issues, collaborate cross-functionally with commercial teams and other functions to develop solutions and provide strategic direction to ensure optimal outcomes.
- Translate strategic vision into tactical action, identify the highest impact ideas and plans, and focus efforts to work well across commercial priorities.
- Bring rigorous conceptual thinking to answer key commercial questions for AbbVie leveraging internal and external intelligence and resources as required.
- Monitor, understand, and prioritize market trends of relevance across TAs, and help determine how AbbVie should prepare and respond.
- Lead executive-level discussions to influence complex business decisions and effectively collaborate cross-functionally to deliver business results.
- Partner with VP and executive level stakeholders, acting as a thought-partner on key business decisions that impact the current and future state of AbbVie.
- Exemplify AbbVie leadership principles and provide innovative, strategic, and evidence-based support to lead and create opportunity for innovation.
- Lead working teams on prioritized workstreams comprised on team members from Innovation and other commercial functions and drive towards solutions.
- Serve on Steering Committee member for commercial and cross-functional projects and provide guidance and the Innovation perspective in those forums as required.
- Provide project management guidance for strategic planning processes for key projects.
- Bachelors or equivalent degree required. Advanced degree (PharmD, PhD, MD, MBA) highly preferred.
- Minimum years of experience - 8+ with Bachelors, 6+ with Masters and 4+ with PhD
- Experience managing large projects within a complex matrixed organization as a consultant to a pharmaceutical organization, either as an external consultant or an internal cross-functional lead.
- Demonstrated ability to present data and metrics to executive leadership teams that will lead to better business outcomes.
- Recognized team player with proven facilitative leadership skills in a cross-functional global team environment. Proven performance in a matrix environment with ability to influence and align stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to interact externally and internally to support business strategy.
- Strong analytical skills. Recognized ability to evaluate complex issues from multiple perspectives to ensure that balanced risk assessments are made.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.