Vice President, Market Access
Xenon Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:XENE) – a biopharmaceutical company with operations in Vancouver, BC, Canada and Boston, MA, USA – is advancing an exciting pipeline of therapies for neurological disorders, with a particular focus on innovative treatments for epilepsy.
Xenon has a number of promising therapeutics in clinical development, valuable collaborations with pharmaceutical partners, and innovative early-stage research underway and also has a strong balance sheet to support its continued growth in 2021 and beyond.
We are a collaborative, ambitious, and driven team with a common mission to improve the lives of patients with neurological disorders. Creating a healthy and productive work environment is a priority, and we understand the importance of investing in our employees’ growth and development. We support charities and volunteerism, knowing that when our people contribute to their local communities, they are gaining new experiences and becoming even better leaders. Xenon’s employees are smart, passionate, and driven by their incredibly important work to discover, develop and deliver new medicines for patients in need. We are looking for talented and determined individuals who thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment to join our team during this transformative time for the company. If you want to learn more about job opportunities at Xenon, please visit www.xenon-pharma.com. This position will be in the Boston location.
Initially reporting to the Chief Commercial Officer, the Vice President, Market Access will lead and support a variety of initiatives to support critical market access decisions for Xenon’s Clinical and Discovery product candidates in accordance with overall product development and commercialization plans.
The Vice President, Market Access is responsible for securing optimal patient access and reimbursement of the company’s products, beginning with the near-term launch of Xenon’s rare epilepsy product candidate, currently in Phase 3. This individual will be a core member of the commercial leadership team and lead a future US market access team. The Vice President, Market Access will work independently and collaboratively as a key member of cross functional teams focusing on analytical support and evaluation of pipeline candidates.
- Propose plan, recruit and lead a high performing access team to ensure market access maximizes patient access, revenue and profitability for the clinical stage portfolio.
- Working with the Xenon Executive Team, recommend and execute a US managed care strategy for payer and key channels, including commercial insurers, Pharmacy Benefit Managers (PBMs), Integrated Health Networks (IHN), State Medicaid, Medicare, and Federal VA/DoD channels.
- Collaborate with marketing in the development of the product value proposition and other resources for US payers, as well as pull-through communications and resources for the US field team.
- Provide input to HEOR and/or Medical Affairs to inform data generation plans to strengthen the produce value proposition.
- Initiate and lead interactions with US payers to educate on Disease State for KCNQ2-DEE and future pipeline products.
- Make recommendations and ensure alignment with all key stakeholders as it relates to US/Global pricing strategy including anticipated launch price, price adjustments, best price and other related elements.
- Provide recommendations for development and execution of patient assistance programs and distribution strategy for clinical stage pipeline assets.
- Monitor trends and potential coverage and reimbursement issues, existing and emerging government and payer policies, competitive pricing and contracting strategies, and potential barriers to provider and patient access.
- Develop and propose short and long term market access goals in accordance with overall Company and Commercial strategies.
- Provide analytical support and evaluation of pipeline candidates in a cross-functional team.
- Develop and maintain relevant Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and other policies, procedures and systems relevant to the Market Access function and aligned with SOPs in other functional areas.
- Plan and manage budget proposals and approved budgets in accordance with the Company’s strategic and operating plans and Finance policies.
- Recruit, lead, direct, develop, coach and evaluate direct reports, if any, in accordance with the Company’s Human Resource policies and practices.
- Other duties as required from time to time, including some travel.
- Act in accordance with Company policies, including, for example, the Code of Business Conduct and Ethics and ensure policies are understood and followed by direct reports, if any.
- Bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, or higher preferred.
- 15+ years’ in the biopharmaceutical industry, with at least ten years US market access function.
- 5+ years’ experience leading and managing a team of market access professionals (including regional or national account management leadership) and working closely with senior company leaders.
- Specialty product launch experience in the US; rare disease therapeutic launch experience and/or epilepsy preferred.
- Prior payer account management experience preferred.
- Experience establishing and managing patient assistance programs and driving distribution strategies for rare disease products.
- Deep understanding and compliance with the OIG and FDA regulations governing pharmaceutical marketing and the PhRMA code.
- Strong strategic thinking skills, crafting innovative options, solving problems and prioritizing projects, and excellent communication skills.
- Highly collaborative work style and strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong presentation skills, comfortable presenting to senior leaders including board members.
To apply, select the position you are interested in, click Apply Now to create a candidate profile, and complete the job application. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, due to the volume of applicants, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.