Scientist I - Head of Sequencing
Do you want to rethink your impact, and are you passionate about DNA sequencing? Then you might be our new Scientist I and Head of Sequencing at our world class research site in Davis, California.
What if you could work for a cause, not just a company?
Novozymes is the global market leader in biological solutions. We help build better lives. Together with our customers, partners and the global community, we use our innovative thinking and passion for science to boost industries and make everyday products more sustainable for the good of the planet. As the world’s leading provider of industrial enzymes and microorganisms, our bio-innovation enables higher agricultural yields, low-temperature washing, energy-efficient production, renewable fuel and many, many other biological solutions that the world can benefit from today and in the future. We call it Rethink Tomorrow.
Join us as our new Head of Sequencing
As Head of Sequencing you will be responsible for daily operations and development of our sequencing platform in Davis. You will be part of a research team with core sample and data flow responsibilities that deliver insights to most innovation projects ongoing in Novozymes.
Welcome to Microbe Research in R&D
In Microbe Research we discover and develop the next microbial solutions for a better world. You will be part of a team of 14 passionate Zymers working with sequencing, omics, data platform development and data analysis. We work together with colleagues focusing on automation, strain engineering, assays and fermentation locally, as well as colleagues across all of Novozymes application areas, such as animal and human health or BioAg. We enjoy a collaborative and high-paced working environment where we strive for getting results quickly while having fun.
In this role you’ll make an impact by:
- Leading and working in the lab as part of the highest-capacity sequencing team in Novozymes
- Managing day to day sample flows of a high-throughput sequencing core with coordination across the global R&D organization
- Setting and executing the development agenda for new sequencing applications to keep Novozymes at the forefront
- Optimizing existing methods and protocols on cost or throughput to expand the use of sequencing in Novozymes
- Co-creating new automation or data handling and analysis flows to speed up time from sample to data to actionable insights
- Working well in teams to unlock applications and biological insights you'd never achieve on your own
You preferably have:
- An innovative mind-set and can-do attitude that makes you thrive in a fast-paced research environment
- Experience from a high-throughput sequencing lab utilizing the latest sequencing (incl. Illumina and Oxford Nanopore) and automation technologies (incl. BioMek and Hamilton).
- Experience with development of new sequencing applications on both Illumina and Oxford Nanopore instruments
- Experience with DNA and RNA extractions and other standard molecular biology methods, including QC, quantification, normalization of libraries with Bioanalyzer, Fragment Analyzer, Qubit etc.
- Basic experience with UNIX and Python programming
- An agile mindset to make quick decisions, troubleshoot and be able to shift focus to handle potential changes in workload and type quickly
- Experience working with vendors and reps to bring in new technologies as well as maintain ordering, inventory, and shipment schedules
- A strong desire to serve as a leader/mentor for sequencing team colleagues with the ability to communicate well at all levels of scientific experience
- A B.Sc. in a relevant field with min. 5yrs of experience or a M.Sc. or PhD with min. 2yrs of experience
This job will be located at our microbe innovation hub in Davis, CA.
Are you passionate about making a sustainable impact, and do you see yourself in this position? Then unlock your passion and apply today!
Application deadline: July 1st 2021, but applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis
Novozymes is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All employment decisions are based on business needs without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, age, disability or veteran status.
Not the right fit for you?
If this job for some reason is not the right fit for you, perhaps you know someone who might find it interesting? If so, please feel free to share the job link and encourage him or her to apply. Thank you for your referral. Please check out our other open positions. Maybe the right fit for you is just a few clicks away.
Want to learn more?
Did you know, that Novozymes was ranked #7 in Science magazine’s global Top Employers Survey 2019?
At Novozymes, we invite you to join us in finding biological solutions to the world’s problems. Being a pioneering company, we seek people, who are eager to try new things, motivated by challenge and not afraid to fail but driven to try again. And again. Original thinking happens when we’re given the flexibility to focus and the freedom to fully unfold our individual strengths. This is key to our innovation power and how we have become one of the top patent holders in the biotech industry. Learn more about Novozymes, our purpose, and your career opportunities at Novozymes.com. Follow us on LinkedIn and Instagram.