Head of Intellectual Property
Graphite Bio is a clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on harnessing the power of targeted DNA integration. Graphite Bio uses next-generation CRISPR based technology platforms for developing curative gene correction-based stem cell therapies for serious and life-threatening genetic diseases with inadequate existing treatment options
We are seeking a Head of Intellectual Property, to serve as a key member of our new legal team, reporting directly to our Chief Operating Officer.
This is a truly unique opportunity to set the Company's intellectual property strategy in
conjunction with Graphite Bio's scientific founders, research and development teams, and executive
leadership. Given Graphite Bio's small size and rapid scale, there is the opportunity to expand beyond IP matters to support the Company's growing operations.
What You Will Do:
- Set the overall IP strategy and operations for Graphite Bio partnership with the Company's executive team and scientific team members.
- Direct the strategic IP procurement and management of global intellectual property rights including drafting & prosecuting patent portfolios, licensing transactions, performing due diligence assessments, freedom-to-operate, infringement and validity analyses, and developing risk evaluation and mitigation strategies.
- Lead or direct IP-related adverse proceedings, as required, including but not limited to US litigation.
- Develop the strategy for IP portfolio life cycle management and potential competition defense strategies.
- Manage the IP legal budget and outside IP law firm relationships, including patent prosecution and assessment of infringement claims.
- Lead IP transactions including but not limited to due diligence, M&A, collaborations, in-licensing, business development, asset acquisitions and settlement agreements.
- Work with the Company's executive leadership team to communicate the IP strategy to third parties and investors.
- Analyze trademark and copyright issues
- Actively partner effectively with Graphite Bio's stakeholders across all phases of research, manufacturing, and development to build value for patients, shareholders and employees
What You Will Bring:
- Juris Doctor degree with exceptional academic credentials.
- An advanced degree in molecular biology, chemistry or other relevant scientific discipline.
- 10+ years of relevant IP attorney experience, including training at a leading IP law firm practice and time spent in-house, ideally at a leading public biotech, pharmaceutical or life sciences company, in roles of increasing responsibility relating to global patent strategy and operations.
- Experience with early-stage, clinical development, and launched products as well as manufacturing and technology-based IP is required.
- Maintaining and sharing deep expertise and knowledge on legal case law, rules, or regulations before the USPTO as well as other relevant jurisdictional IP offices.
- Must be admitted, active and in good standing with the California state bar, or with another state bar and registered, or eligible to register, as in-house counsel with the State of California, and with the USPTO.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Strong management and leadership skills as well as a strong client service focus and the ability to work independently and in teams.
- Ability to work efficiently, to prioritize workflow, to meet demanding deadlines, and to manage multi-dimensional projects in a fast-paced environment.
Fit with Graphite Bio's culture:
Ability to build strong relationships with co-workers of various backgrounds and expertise
Ability to function at a high level in a team setting whether leading the group or acting as an individual
Values-based leadership consistent with Graphite Bios' Core Values
Excitement about the vision and mission of Graphite Bio
Competitive salary with equity
Graphite Bio is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, protected veteran status, or disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.