Senior Scientist I, Bioinformatics (Emerging Technologies)
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Genomics Research Center (GRC) is a center of excellence for bioinformatics, functional genomics, human genetics, pharmacogenomics and multiple population cohorts (over 1 million genomes) and works across all R&D, and other areas such as process sciences and corporate strategy. The GRC plays an integral role towards our goal of developing world class genetics and genomics research, focusing on finding the right targets and helping us better understand not only human disease biology but also the behavior of and response to our drugs in clinical trials.
Within the GRC, the Department of Computational Biology drives research by data analysis and data integration with Discovery and Development in activities such as the identification and validation of new targets, elucidating underlying biological mechanisms for disease development and progression, translational research, and patient stratification.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Bioinformatics Scientist based in North Chicago, IL. The ideal candidate should harbor a strong interest in learning how various genomic technologies/platforms can be leveraged to address specific biological problems and be passionate about the development/application of new bioinformatic methods. The successful candidate will work closely with the functional genomics and genome biology group within GRC and will have the opportunity to make critical impact to the application of various functional genomic technologies to drug discovery and development research in the area of new target discovery, functional validation of genetic variants (coding and non-coding), and genomic biology of pathogenetic and therapeutic mechanism.
- Work with scientists in the functional genomics and genome biology group to understand their bioinformatics needs.
- Evaluate and prototype workflows that encompass data processing, analysis, and visualization.
- Devise and execute sophisticated models and analyses to extract meaningful and actionable information from the integration of various omics (e.g., genomic, transcriptomic, epigenomic, proteomic) datasets.
- Communicate analytical results with both computational and noncomputational collaborators within GRC and other therapeutic areas
- Presentation at external conferences and publication of work strongly encouraged
- Work with bioinformatics engineers to optimize newly developed software into reproducible workflows executable by other bioinformaticians
Position will be hired based on level of experience.
- Bachelors, Masters, or PhD in computational biology, genetics, bioinformatics, computer science, engineering, (bio)statistics, mathematics, or related fields with a strong focus on data analysis with typically 10-12 (BS), 8-10 (MS), or 0-4 (PhD) years of experience.
- Fluency in 1 or more relevant programming languages such as R, Python, Perl, and be comfortable working in a HPC Linux environment.
- Demonstrate ability to develop and execute custom computational analysis plans leveraging novel algorithms and relevant databases.
- Experience with large-scale data analysis involving the integration of next generation sequencing data, such as such as genomics, transcriptomics, CRISPR, and/or epigenetic data
- Strong communication skills, innate scientific curiosity, and collaborative team spirit.
- Ability to summarize analytical results and derive biological/clinical interpretation.
- Previous experience with analyzing pooled CRISPR screening data
- Experience with analysis of single cell Omics data (RNAseq, CRISPR)
- Experience in translating genomic data into clinically relevant results.
- Working experience in biopharma industry.
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.