Research Associate I/II, Manufacturing Science and Technology
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
Manufacturing Science and Technology (MSAT) at BioMarin is the technical partner for clinical and commercial operations and actively supports manufacturing processes throughout the product lifecycle. We are an inclusive, high-performing, highly motivated, and collaborative group looking for an innovative and passionate individual with strong cell culture skills and an engineering background to become an integral part of our upstream team. You will join a team of scientists and research associates working to resolve manufacturing challenges, evaluating new technologies, and facilitating continuous process improvement to ensure robustness for our biologics and adeno associated virus (AAV) viral vector production process.
The selected candidate will be a highly motivated individual, with strong cell culture skills and familiar with large scale cell culture operations. Applicants who have experience with troubleshooting bioprocesses and are familiar with chemical engineering principles (e.g. mass balances, reactor design, mass/heat transfer, etc.) are preferred. Majority of the work will be lab based involving mammalian cell culture, lab-scale bioreactor operations and execution of analytical methods. This individual will develop experimental studies to troubleshoot and better understand BioMarin’s commercial cell culture and fermentation processes. They must have strong communication skills, as they will be involved in projects that involve presenting data to collaborators and will assist in writing memos, protocols and reports.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter, who focuses on transparent and honest communication, is dependable, cares intensely about helping others, and is comfortable making decisions while dealing with uncertainty.
- Assist in the design and execution of studies to support of process investigations and process improvements
- Prepare and operate bench scale bioreactors, automated cell culture platforms (ambr15 and ambr250) and liquid handling platforms (TECAN)
- Facilitate investigations to help understand and resolve complex manufacturing issues, and assess their potential impact to product quality
- Evaluate raw materials for use in commercial manufacturing processes
- Evaluate new methods and technologies, and implement process improvements
- Assist in writing memorandums, protocols and reports
- Experienced with large scale cell culture platforms, including fed-batch, perfusion, bacterial fermentation and/or viral vector production
- Troubleshooting of analytical methods and cell culture processes
- Accurate documentation of experimental work, data analysis and results
- Demonstrated record of strong communication skills
B.S. in Chemical/Biochemical/Biomedical Engineering or related disciplines.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.