Research Assistant / Associate
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
Team member will support process development and technology transfer of upstream production through various stages of development to manufacturing. This laboratory based position will include working with new technologies such as gene therapy as well as protein therapeutics. The individual will need to demonstrate technical proficiency enabling effective execution of experiments and basic problem solving; strong verbal and written communication skills; ability to work effectively in groups. The position will focus on small-scale cell culture activities, developing processes in bench-top bioreactors, as well as scale-up activities that may involve the transfer of large-scale processes to commercial facilities. The preferred candidate has experience in upstream bioprocessing, with familiarity in bioreactor and harvest centrifugation/filtration operations. Experience with insect cell cultures, viral vectors or gene therapy is also preferred. Furthermore, the candidate would be expected to analyze culture samples via various analytical techniques. The individual will develop competence in analysis and interpretation of data. The candidate will organize results using electronic lab notebook and other digital data archive systems.
- Exercise limited discretion in the design and execution of cell culture experiments (mammalian or insect cell processes)
- Provide quantitative analysis of data and limited interpretation of results
- Write reports and present data to small and large groups
- Evaluate moderately complex lab equipment
- Collaborate with external vendors
- Troubleshooting of equipment and processes
- Relate findings or literature to current experimental work. Work on a wide range of processes of diverse scope
- May attend external trainings or seminars
0-2 years’ experience in process development or as a scientific research assistant
- Cell culture, sterile technique (gene therapy experience preferred)
- Bioreactor or upstream process control experience
- Analytical techniques: PCR, ddPCR, SDS- PAGE, Western blotting and ELISA
- Familiarity with plate based assays, pipetting techniques
- Demonstrate technical competence and problem-solving abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to use computers effectively as work requires
- Ability to collaborate effectively with team members
Bachelor's degree in Bioengineering, Biology, Chemical Engineering or equivalent with 0-2 years in Process Development or relevant industry experience
- Shake flasks, bioreactors, centrifuges, filtration systems: setup, sterilization, maintenance, operation and troubleshooting
- Analytical instruments and techniques (qPCR, ddPCR, ELISA, blood gas analyzer, metabolite analyzers, osmometers, cell counter, plate readers): operation, maintenance and trouble-shooting
- PC: Process control systems, data acquisition, data analysis, word processing, statistical analysis, power point presentations and electronic lab notebooks
Members of Process Sciences, Manufacturing, Analytical Chemistry, and Research
Technical Representatives: from appropriate vendors/collaborators
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The employee will be working in a Biosafety Level 2 (BSL-2) designated laboratory. The employee may frequently be required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.