Research Assistant / Research Associate, Ex-Vivo/In-Vitro, Assay Development , Biology Research
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect a relatively small number of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
We are searching for a highly motivated Research Assistant/Research Associate (I/II) to join the Biology Research department within BioMarin Research and Development. The candidate will be responsible for implementing and performing biochemical, molecular, and cellular assays in support of the BioMarin research pipeline. This position offers a unique career opportunity to work in a matrix-based team environment on multidisciplinary aspects of drug development. The successful candidate will interact with other members of the Biology Research department as well as collaborators to support our therapeutic discovery programs.
Applicants should have an MS or BS in a relevant field with hands on laboratory experience. Ability to work collaboratively on project teams, being resourceful, taking initiative, and attention to detail are essential. Candidates should be scientifically flexible in working in a variety of disease areas as business needs change and be good at learning and mastering new skills.
- Molecular biology – ELISAs, Westerns, enzyme and/or multiplex assays, extraction/sample preparation.
- Mammalian cell culture assays – to understand and test disease mechanisms and therapeutic evaluations.
- Work well independently and in collaboration with colleagues across various functional groups.
- Present results, conclusions, and implications to the group.
- Document all experimental procedures and data in ELN.
- Share responsibility for lab maintenance duties.
- Required Skills:
- Experience in cell culture and molecular biology techniques.
- RNA/DNA isolation, qPCR/ddPCR, ELISAs, Westerns, extraction/sample preparation.
- Mouse and/or human cell culture experience.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and computer skills.
- Desired but Not Required Skills:
- Experience with visible and fluorescent microscopy.
- Experience with mouse models of human disease.
EDUCATION and WORK EXPERIENCE
Education and experience guidance for each level:
Bachelor’s degree in scientific discipline and 0-2+ years of relevant experience
Research Associate 1:
Bachelor’s degree and at least 2 years of relevant experience or minimal experience with Masters
Research Associate 2:
Bachelor’s degree and at least 4 years of experience; Master’s degree with at least 2 years of relevant experience
Must be able to work in a cross-discipline team-based format and present data at internal group and departmental meetings.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.