Research Associate I, Biology Research
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect a relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
We are searching for a highly motivated Research Assistant/Research Associate to join the Biology Research department within BioMarin Research and Development. The candidate will be responsible for implementing and performing biochemical, molecular, and cellular assays in support of the BioMarin research pipeline. This position offers a unique career opportunity to work in a matrix-based team environment on multidisciplinary aspects of drug development. The successful candidate will interact with other members of the Biology Research department as well as collaborators to support our therapeutic discovery programs.
Applicants should have an MS or BS in a relevant field with hands on laboratory experience. Ability to work collaboratively on project teams, being resourceful, taking initiative, and attention to detail are essential. Candidates should be scientifically flexible in working in a variety of disease areas as business needs change and be good at learning and mastering new skills.
- Perform a variety of lab work with molecular biology, cell biology, and biochemistry methods. Techniques may include (but are not limited to) mammalian cell culture, cell-based assays as well as nucleic acid extraction, reverse transcription (RT), and polymerase chain reaction (PCR), ELISA, Western-blot and flow cytometry.
- Perform in vitro experiments for target validation and mechanistic studies in support of therapeutic development.
- Work well independently and in collaboration with colleagues across various functional groups.
- Present results, conclusions, and implications to the group.
- Document all experimental procedures and data in ELN.
- Share responsibility for lab maintenance duties.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong background in biochemistry and/or cellular and molecular biology, proficiency in common cell culture, as well as biochemical methods and techniques is required.
- Experience working with human and cross species primary cells is a plus.
- Ability to use a computer effectively for data analysis and presentation.
- The position requires the candidate to perform hands-on laboratory science with precise documentation of SOPs and results.
- A desire to independently work in a cross-functional and collaborative environment is a requirement.
- Excellent communication skills are a requisite, including presentation of data at project team and department level.
- The candidate will have demonstrated the ability to learn new techniques, problem solve, and have a record of productivity.
EDUCATION and WORK EXPERIENCE
Education and experience guidance:
- Research Associate I/II
- B.S. in scientific discipline with 2-8 years of relevant industrial experience
- M.S. in scientific discipline with 0-5 years of relevant industrial experience
Must be able to work in a cross-discipline team-based format and present data at internal group and departmental meetings.
No direct reports as associated with this position.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.