Scientific Manager, In-vivo Research
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Model Development Group at BioMarin is a dynamic, collegial, interactive group where teamwork, ingenuity, and scientific excellence are highly valued.
We are seeking an experienced Scientific Manager who can be the centralized single point of contact and resident expert in the procurement, production and management of all rodent colonies used in the Model Development group. This candidate should have a strong understanding of generating and characterizing animal models as well as experience with the breeding and tracking of rodent colonies. The person in this role will:
- Work with BioMarin Research teams and outside collaborators to identify and obtain animal models, or with geneticists in creating animal models of human disease.
- Coordinate with internal Research teams to provide timelines and resource availability projections in support of early stage research.
- Collaborate with various internal legal and business groups to establish contracts and ensure payments.
- Establish and maintain a colony management tool to provide real time data for colony breeding and production in line with project needs.
- Collaborate with Vivarium staff in the creation of SOP’s and processes, and assist with various services in the new vivarium, as needed.
- Experience in the management and tracking of rodent colonies
- Experience in the design and production of mutant mouse models of human disease
- Hands-on experience in handling, dosing, blood sampling and tissue harvest in rodents a plus
- Ability to easily work on several projects simultaneously
- Excellent communication skills in the English language.
- Highly collaborative in nature
- Ability to work toward established goals without daily supervision
- Excel at organizing and tracking