Associate Director, Accounting
CymaBay is a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and providing access to innovative therapies for patients with liver and other chronic diseases.
If you are ready to join a team where your work is challenging, rewarding and meaningful; where your efforts are recognized and appreciated; where your career and skills are developed and expanded; AND where you are truly VALUED…
then CymaBay is looking for YOU!
To help us achieve our mission we are seeking a talented Associate Director, Accounting to join our team. This position will help to develop, implement, and/or maintain one or a combination of general accounting systems.
In addition, this position will provide oversight and guidance to accounting members, ensure the preparation and maintenance of journal entries, account reconciliations, and other accounting records, and shall drive the completion of closing procedures for monthly and quarterly financial reports.
Essential Functions and Job Responsibilities:
- Manage and proactively drive the month end-close cycle to ensure timely and accurate completion of financial reporting as a public company
- Collaborate with finance team members to ensure the timely and accurate analysis and reconciliation of all applicable general ledger accounts
- Provide oversight and review of payroll, accounts payable, employee expense processing and review accountant journal entries and reconciliations in these areas
- Drive the preparation of clinical trial-related accrual and prepayment entries and reconciliations. Review applicable CRO, CMO and other vendor contracts, work closely with Clinical Operations, and proactively interact with vendors to gather and analyze relevant information and supporting documentation
- Work with Corporate Controller to ensure significant or complex accounting transactions are properly recorded in the general ledger
- Manage monthly financial report creation and perform variance analysis to support financial statement accuracy and completeness
- Prepare quarterly and annual financial statements in accordance with GAAP and be familiar with current applicable accounting pronouncements
- Ensure compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley 404 internal control policies and procedures, execute and document internal controls timely and accurately, and collaborate to revise and enhance internal control policies and procedures as needed
- Coordinate with external auditors and ensure support and information requests are provided timely for quarterly reviews and annual financial audits
- Assist with compilation of information for preparation of tax provisions/returns.
- Collaborate, communicate concisely, and work cross-functionally with finance personnel, department managers, auditors, accounting consultants, and other stakeholders as necessary
- Assist with other projects and process improvement initiatives as necessary
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- 5+ years of relevant experience
- Ability to multi-task and effectively manage to achieve critical deadlines
- Proficiency in Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Late development stage, or commercial Biotech experience a plus
- CPA training / certification a plus