AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Provide leadership and direction for the manufacturing operation of the chemical small molecule manufacturing unit in North Chicago Manufacturing delivering multiple, technically complex products, and driving new product introductions.
Part of Senior Management Team for the plant. Sits on Site Director’s staff. Drives the strategy for the business by working cross-functionally with the technical teams in designing the future site capabilities and driving assessments for new products.
Direct a multi-shift staff to meet production, quality, safety and financial demands of the operation. Manage all plant mfg activities and key performance metrics. Lead financial controls and cost management for teams in the manufacturing unit. Lead personnel scheduling and development, within a culture of high performance. Drive adherence to policies/procedures; collaborate cross-functionally to ensure these practices drive optimal patient outcomes. Assure effectiveness and compliance of the manufacturing site while delivering high levels of customer service and compliance with all regulatory requirements.
- Create operational and financial goals, budgets and objectives for the assigned manufacturing area. Manage budget of typically $60MM or more, ensure performance levels to maximize operations.
- Drive and lead the assigned manufacturing area to meet the site business strategies; accountable for operating expenses, payroll and capital expenditures for manufacturing area projects and programs.
- Guide development and implementation of business strategies to achieve budget expectations as well as drive cost reduction efforts; implement actions to adapt and transform the organization in order to meet changing business needs.
- Apply a high level of scientific analysis and decision-making to influence the design and ongoing optimization of manufacturing processes. Provide leadership to teams when troubleshooting manufacturing issues; consults and advises cross-functional teams to ensure processes and approaches result in efficient, high quality products.
- Ensure staff members are provided training and coaching to build technical knowledge and capability.
- Responsible for synthesizing action plans, timelines and budgets for project and product goals and adjusting these plans accordingly to effectively respond to changing demands of the business.
- Develop and manage staff through hiring, managing performance, developing talent and providing clear expectations.
- Ensure all labor and equipment performance measures are met. Responsible for completing established goals, prioritizing project work and controlling and coordinating all activities and improvement efforts across manufacturing areas.
- Manage the employee relations climate to ensure that our AbbVie Way is realized and an environment exists where all employees have the opportunity to develop to their maximum potential.
- Coach managers in the organization and establish clear expectations with them and all employees regarding responsibilities, goals and behaviors and champion and model exceptional AbbVie performance and talent management practices.
- Bachelor’s Degree required in a technical field: advanced technical degree (Master’s or Doctorate Degree) strongly preferred
- 12+ years’ experience including: work as an individual contributor building technical expertise and proved project management skills. Progressively increased responsibility and performance as supervisor, department manager and leader of diverse teams in Operations (Manufacturing, Quality, Supply Chain, Engineering, etc.)
- Business acumen coupled with functional leadership experience is required to ensure effectiveness and high performance in a complex operation
- Chemical Engineering degree preferred
- Expereince in API manufacturing preferred
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 15 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.