Counsel, Patent Prosecution
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
AbbVie is searching for an in-house patent prosecution counsel to be based at our corporate headquarters in Lake County, Illinois. Working both individually and in cross-functional teams, the in-house counsel will develop and implement intellectual property strategies across AbbVie’s therapeutic products and product candidates.
- Working with scientific teams to identify patentable subject matter
- Drafting, filing, and prosecuting strategically useful patent applications worldwide both directly and through management of outside counsel
- Maximizing AbbVie’s competitive position through creation and implementation of intellectual property strategies
- Providing legal advice and counsel to cross-functional R&D and business teams on a variety of IP related matters
- Challenging and defending patents in IPR, opposition, interference, and other post-grant proceedings
- Conducting prior art searches, analyzing third-party patent positions, and conducting due diligence in support of business development activities
- JD degree from an accredited law school, state bar admission and registration to practice before the USPTO
- Three or more years of experience practicing patent law at a law firm and/or biopharmaceutical company, including substantial U.S. and foreign patent prosecution
- Technical background should include experience and/or advanced degree in relevant field, such as, molecular biology, biotechnology, biochemistry, immunology, genetics, chemistry, chemical engineering, or pharmacology
- In-house pharmaceutical development experience (biologics and/or small molecules) preferred
- Strong legal, analytical, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex projects to meet deadlines
- Previous work with a focus in biologics
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.