Senior Scientist I
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Bioprocess Development Department at the AbbVie Bioresearch Center in Worcester, MA is seeking a highly motivated and experienced Scientist to join the Cell Line Development group, working collaboratively with Drug Discovery teams to advance the AbbVie Biologics pipeline. The Scientist should have in-depth experience with Omics based data generation and analysis including genome annotation, RNA-seq, epigenetic (ATAC-seq) data analysis, single cell RNA-seq, cell engineering, codon usage optimization, and molecular biology techniques used in the biopharmaceutical industry. The Scientist will also be responsible for the development of rAAV based gene therapy platform to support AbbVie gene therapy pipeline.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- CHO cell line development. Function as an independent investigator to lead and coordinate clinical and commercial cell line development among CMC team
- Lead and develop efforts to establish next generation mammalian cell line development platform through internal and external collaborations.
- Development rAAV based gene therapy platform through collaboration with Drug Discovery, process development teams
- Author and review technical reports to support regulatory filling
- Effectively organize and communicate research progress and planned activities through oral and written presentations
- Maintain a high level of productivity in the lab, with clear and accurate documentation of experiments
- Contribute to our team performance and process improvement in a climate of scientific rigor, working collaboratively on projects across multiple Process Science groups
- Demonstrate scientific initiative and creative thinking in achieving project goals and implementing technology innovations. Seek out new information and opportunities to advance our technologies
- Contribute to the smooth and effective operation of the CHO cell line development labs through our 5S program
- Understand and enforce corporate standards regarding code of conduct, documentation, safety, appropriate handling of materials, and GxP compliance
- Ph.D. in Molecular Biology with 0-3 years of relevant experience, M.S. degree in Molecular Biology with 3-10 years of relevant experience in the biopharmaceutical industry, or Bachelor’s Degree with greater than 10 years of experience in the biopharmaceutical industry
- Enable cGMP biotherapeutics manufacturing and associated areas of expertise (e.g., cell and molecular biology, genetic characterization, gene editing, process development, recombinant protein production)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Strong scientific curiosity with a passion for problem-solving and optimization
- Self-motivated with excellent attention to detail and ability to multi-task. Strong organizational, planning and trouble-shooting skills
- Ability to work effectively in a highly collaborative and dynamic environment
- Proven track record in one or more of the following: Next Generation Sequencing, CHO cell line development, Transcriptomics, Epigenetic approach screening native enhancer/promotor, gene editing, cell engineering, rAAV vector production, gene therapy
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross-functional team members
- Learns quickly, grasps the 'essence' and can change the course quickly where indicated
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Embraces a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for continuous improvement
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.