Scientist II/Senior Scientist I Pharmacology
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Immunology R&D organization at AbbVie Bioresearch Center in Worcester, MA is seeking a highly motivated Senior Scientist to join the Pharmacology team. This scientist will specifically support Dermatology preclinical in-vivo model build and overall capability expansion into Th2-type autoimmune diseases including atopic dermatitis (AD), eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE), and prurigo nodularis (PN). Our organization is looking to bring in someone with existing academic or industry experience working in this space, with particular emphasis on atopic dermatitis mechanisms and in-vivo models. Candidate will be expected to be well-versed in murine in-vivo techniques and be knowledgeable and experienced with ex-vivo tissue processing techniques. Industry experience is not required, but those having in-vivo pharmacology and drug discovery experience is a plus.
Key responsibilities include:
- Develop murine models of inflammation mimicking aspects of atopic dermatitis, EoE or other Th2-type autoimmune diseases.
- Work collaboratively and independently to set in-vivo strategy, develop and execute study designs. Incorporate relevant external sources (literature, patents, conferences) and state-of-the art technologies and theories to guide novel in-vivo model builds.
- Process and analyze ex-vivo tissues for disease-relevant endpoints. Candidates with knowledge of the following techniques will receive extra consideration: flow cytometry, PCR/gene analysis, protein/cytokine measures via ELISA/MSD, and other skin-related functional endpoints.
- In-vivo pharmacology including establishing PK/PD relationships, designing and performing mechanism-of-action (MOA) studies, and efficacy testing of drug candidate molecules (large and small) a plus.
- Interpret findings and effectively present scientific data, concepts, and recommendations to various internal audiences. May attend or present at external conferences.
- Author and review technical reports, protocols, and other key documents.
- Support other Pharmacology activities as needed, which may include acting as functional rep for pipeline projects and leading new target proposals.
- Understand and adhere to corporate standards regarding code of conduct, documentation, safety, appropriate handling of materials, and humane treatment of lab animals.
- Ph.D. in Immunology or related biological sciences discipline with 0-3 years of relevant experience or a BS/MS degree with at least 8 years relevant experience.
- Experience developing in-vivo models of atopic or autoimmune inflammatory diseases, with particular emphasis on models of atopic dermatitis. Candidate must be proficient with in-vivo techniques including dosing, biospecimen collection, and necropsy.
- Demonstrated ability in experimental planning and execution.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to work effectively in a highly collaborative environment including collaborations with team-members from other locations and cross-functionally on various projects with colleagues in other functional areas (Chemistry, Biologics, DMPK, Dermatology) to meet team and company goals.
- Strong knowledge base in atopic/allergic diseases, with particular emphasis on Th2-associated mechanisms
- Industry experience preferred but not required
- Candidates having strong in-vitro skills
- Will also consider non-Ph.D. candidates for this role if applicant brings strong set of relevant experience and knowledge base in modeling atopic dermatitis or other Th2-based immune diseases and mechanisms. Hiring grade level at Scientist II or Senior Scientist I will reflect candidate’s education, experience and qualifications.
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the immediate team to enable higher performance
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence” and can change course quickly where indicated
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experiments to drive the science in the field of interest
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.