Sourcing Manager, Purchasing-Small Molecule Pipeline Portfolio
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Collaborations and Sourcing is a global team of sourcing professionals focused on delivering the pipeline and supporting on-market product assurance of supply. The Direct Global Sourcing team has deep relationships with R&D to support needs and Operations to bridge future commercial operational requirements and on-market assurance of supply.
Small Molecule Pipeline Sourcing Manager will work directly with the Process R&D Program Management team on direct material sourcing initiatives to support AbbVie delivering the pipeline, including, support of launch excellence as representative on Operations Pipeline Launch teams, risk mitigation, and value creation, including cost savings.
Responsible to lead external market sourcing, supplier identification and supply market insight activities for suppliers, products and geographies. Primary point of contact for Process R&D stakeholders to identify business needs, support sourcing plans, and manage external supplier relationship engagement.
This position is responsible to own the lifecycle of a supplier agreement (CDA’s through to commercial) and to collaborate effectively with cross functional partners in R&D and Operations.
- Understand AbbVie products, pipeline, and priorities to synthesize and develop opportunities with supplier capabilities.
- Build strong relationships with R&D, partnering on early through late-stage small molecule development programs, represent business requirements on due diligence and supplier selection, align R&D needs with future commercial operations’ requirements.
- Active representation of Purchasing on Operations Pipeline Launch Teams.
- Build and sustain highly credible professional presence with internal cross function stakeholders and external suppliers. Builds rapport and assures alignment and strong communication with multiple stakeholder groups.
- Demonstrate external sourcing and supply market capability awareness and leadership, showing expertise across regions and material categories.
- Skilled collaborative negotiator leveraging grasp of organizational interests and optionality to achieve results and goals, balancing financial goals with operational and quality needs.
- Systematically evaluate / analyze complex sourcing opportunities, Influence decisions, and own activities from new supplier identification, supporting pipeline needs, new technologies, and CDA’s through to commercial contract negotiation.
- Exhibit excellent professional presence, proactive communication, with confidence to represent Abbvie interests and lead Sourcing organization projects
- Properly convert negotiated deals to performance based, legally sound contracts that successfully transition to category management and external manufacturing team for on-going supplier management and program sustainability. Communicate, and manage the execution of pipeline sourcing needs, representing a minimum of $25-$75 million of annual expenditures.
- Initiate and cultivate open, honest and beneficial relationships with colleagues and stakeholders by establishing rapport, develop understanding of needs, promote common goals and follow through on commitments.
- Adapt information to stakeholder’s needs: deliver communications tailored to the needs of the receiver; using appropriate language and level of detail for the receiver.
- Use analytical abilities to gather, analyze and establish starting point for each sourcing process.
- Timely execution of established sourcing process for all projects.
- Bachelor’s Degree: Chemistry/Biology, Business, Finance, Law, Economics, Engineering or like degree. Certified Purchasing Manager (CPM)-desired.
- 7-10 years of total combined minimum experience required.
- Required experiences: Recognized as Sourcing Authority, Seasoned Negotiator , Project Management, Conflict Resolution, Chemical / Biologics industrial experience, Supply Chain Management, Production Planning, Value Engineering, Cost Analysis, Financial Analysis, Quality Systems and Documentation, Regulatory Issues, Compliance, Contracting Experience, Technical Experience. Strong Communication/Persuasion, Presentation and Interpersonal Skills.
- Experience with sourcing and supply markets supporting intermediates, Regulated starting materials, API, biologics, single use manufacturing consumables, packaging materials, chemicals, reagents, solvents and excipients
- Operational experience with SAP.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 15 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.