Vendor Managements Sr. Manager, Project Delivery
With operations in 35+ nations and ~27,000 employees worldwide, CSL is driven to develop and deliver a broad range of lifesaving therapies to treat disorders such as hemophilia and primary immune deficiencies, and vaccines to prevent influenza. Our therapies are also used in cardiac surgery, organ transplantation and burn treatment.
CSL is the parent company of CSL Behring and Seqirus. CSL Behring is a global leader in the protein biotherapeutics industry, focused on bringing to market biotherapies used to treat serious and often rare conditions. CSL Behring operates CSL Plasma, one of the world's largest collectors of human plasma, which is used to create CSL’s therapies. Seqirus is one of the largest influenza vaccine companies in the world and is a transcontinental partner in pandemic preparedness and a major contributor to the prevention and control of influenza globally.
We invite you to take a look at the many career possibilities available around the globe and consider building your promising future at CSL by becoming a member of our team!
Provide leadership and oversight to Vendor Relationship, Tier 2 & Tier 3 CAPEX projects for Kankakee site in collaboration with other Global Engineering and Kankakee site leads. Lead planning and execution of strategic capital investment to establish production capacity for a unique pharmaceutical product that will drive US market growth. Advise site leadership on execution strategy. Manage all program aspects including business case (ROI, NPV, and COGS), capital budgeting and spending, technology/vendor selection, contract negotiations, staffing, project execution and construction management. Ensure the effective management of KAN PMEPCM vendor relationships at CSL, building trust and cooperation between CSL and its vendor, minimizing risk and maximizing value from those relationships.
Manages the design, development, and implementation of strategic projects at the site level
- Anticipates and plans for potential risks; develops corresponding contingency plans.
- Sets up project meetings to review progress and shares information
- Develops and deploys tactical plans and provides direction and leadership to develop and deploy their tactical plans.
- Responsible for development of systematic approach of assessing vendors contributions and influence on success, determining tactics to maximize suppliers' performance and developing the strategic approach for executing on these determinations.
Drive innovation to reduce cost and schedule by ensuring Project Delivery Process, Flawless Project Execution, best practices, benchmarking, and industry learning are applied to all capital projects.
Proven experience in having E2E responsibilities from Engineering through Operational Readiness.
This position manages and contributes to the project progress throughout the project helping to expedite key activities across function, find solutions to key problems, and communicate project progress, issues, and solutions to management and to the project team.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
-Leads and directs highly complex, cross-functional high value capacity expansion projects with diverse project teams, in alignment with CSL strategic and operational priorities.
-Develop and drives supplier scorecards, KPIs and ongoing vendor performance improvement working with supply base both lagging and leading indicators.
-Looks for opportunities to innovate, either within product development or in process improvement.
-Meets customer service requirements by developing the basic work assignments and tactical plans to accomplish objectives, and/or contributes expertise to programs and projects
-Focuses on customers’ requirements enabling a high standard of effectiveness
-Confronts and resolves conflicts effectively and coaches’ others in these areas
-Allocates, distributes, and deploys resources in an effective manner based on the number of projects and workload priorities
-Anticipates problems and potential risks while creating contingency plans
-Transfers ideas and successes across boundaries
-Identifies and resolves relationship issues and uses effective mediation and conflict management, negotiation, and influencing skills
-Brings people together within and across functions so that they can build and share best practices
-Strong Project management including:
- Documentation of meetings and discussion
- Assignment and tracking of action items
- Influencing skills to get key actions prioritized by the team
- Anticipating and mitigating bottlenecks
- Ability to break roadblocks and catalyze decision making
- Assures effective prioritization of interdependent project activities.
- Creates temporary performance (matrix) environments with effective governance frameworks enabling peak performance and team results.
- Works closely with Sponsors, Steering Committees, and functional leaders to overcome obstacles to project success.
-Works closely with site leaders, and the project team to assure communication and implementation of project management leading practices as appropriate.
-Highly effective project management with a keen understanding of interdependencies.
-Strong oversight of vendor and procurement management, including sequencing receiving, staging and installation activities.
-Working knowledge of:
- EHS requirements, with particular focus on EHS by design and construction safety
- Start-up processes and Commissioning & Qualification
- Principles for Engineering Design in a regulated industry (GMP & GEP)
Builds Internal Project Management capabilities:
-Prepares Capital Appropriation Requests and presents them to senior management for approval. Capable of presenting regularly to Sr. Leadership on project performance.
-Prepares and/or supports the development of documentation such as PO’s and project updates/status reports. Capable of running design coordination and stakeholder meetings.
-Oversees CSL Project Engineers and contract engineers in the execution of capital projects.
-Developing solutions to complex problems, which require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity. Assists site staff and stakeholder in conceptualizing projects.
-On projects, directing other engineers and technicians in specific assignments.
-Exercises independent judgment in developing methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results on new assignments.
-Ability to plan, coordinate and manage multiple projects in a program capacity. Capable of developing timelines, overseeing activities for the entire project team, and taking responsibility for project completion.
-Ability to provide input into and critique schedules for use by the end to end project team as well as develop detailed schedules for critical tasks.
Communication and Change Management:
-Regularly reporting and engagement with the CSL Supplier Relationship Manager (SRM) and senior leadership regarding supplier performance, CSL requirements and key issues
-Directs the transition to operations, including training and user adoption of related processes.
-Works closely with site leadership and functional management to define and deliver on expected deliverables and value.
-Assures access to subject matter experts with the requisite capabilities to support project definition and planning as required to successfully complete the project work.
-Assures effective team and internal/external stakeholder communication, keeping stakeholders informed of progress and issues to manage expectations on all requirements and deliverables.
-Assures that documentation is kept current, clear, and transparent and is communicated as appropriate.
-Escalates key decisions, issues, risks, and opportunities as required to achieve objectives.
-Helps to manage and build relationships with external partners, e.g., vendors, as appropriate.
-Represents projects at required internal and external meetings to assure that priorities are communicated and understood, and that progress/delays/issues/risks/opportunities are reported.
-Ability to lead and motivate remote and virtual teams and stakeholders
Situation Analysis and Initiation:
-Helps to translate CSL strategic and operational priorities into projects designed to deliver intended value by supporting the development of the Kankakee Site Development Strategy.
-Assures that situational analysis provides the data required to well characterize projects.
-Act as an internal advocate for the vendor, serve as an escalation point for the supplier, and facilitate coordination among internal Project Managers and core teams who interact with the vendor and encourage vendor to share i-innovations.
-Establish an ongoing business process review for opportunity identification with vendor to enable the achievement of key objectives by both parties and to align long term plans.
-Participate with the vendor regular executive strategic and business reviews and participate in the operational reviews
-Develop and validate supplier performance metrics, track performance and ensure any performance issues or opportunities are identified and acted upon.
-Oversee the necessary process performance management, to review performance against targets, agree required changes and action; and follow-up to ensure effective actions are taken.
-Responsible for regularly communicating to global stakeholders’ key strategies
-Assures that projects have well developed target value and directs the identification of work to achieve intended value.
-Oversees the identification of resource requirements and project costs.
-Accountable for developing/defending the business case with project managers, sponsor, and key stakeholders.
-Assures that required project resources are identified and secured to complete the work of the project.
-Directs the development of project schedules with timelines and interdependencies for all tasks and the identification of key milestones.
-Assures appropriate identification and assessment of risks and opportunities related to the project.
Project Implementation and Closeout:
-Directs the project organization in monitoring and controlling planned Time, Cost and Performance (Scope) against actuals, and the identification, reporting and resolution of all significant variances where they exist.
-Assures that all financial aspects of the project are properly managed.
-Monitors for effective use of resources (human capital and other resources).
-Assures effective issue, risk, and opportunity management in order to protect the project plan and maximize delivered value.
-Assures that the project is closed out properly following completion, including summary reports and lessons learned.
-Supports value realization efforts throughout the project and at closeout.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering,
- Project Management Professional (PMP) or equivalent.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in project management
- Experience in biotech/pharmaceutical
- Minimum 5 years of managerial experience and interfacing with vendors
- Strong leadership, consultative, communication, and conflict management skills to influence project leaders and stakeholders, including non-specialists, at all levels in the organization and achieve team objectives while maintaining a positive team environment.
- The ability to work on complex problems where analysis of situation or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors to achieve best results.
- The ability to clearly communicate complex issues to senior management so that critical issues are understood quickly and can be addressed immediately.
- Strong strategic planning, quantitative, and decision analysis capabilities.
- Strong project management and integration skills; ability to coordinate all aspects of a project or program.
- Demonstrated experience in developing, managing, and controlling cross functional project budgets.
- Proficiency and use of enterprise computer applications including the Microsoft suite of products and project management software.
- Fluent in English. Ability to speak clearly and exercise good judgment
- Managerial Courage: Does not hold back anything that needs to be said; provides current, direct, complete, and ‘actionable’ positive and corrective feedback to others; lets people know where they stand; faces up to people problems on any person or situation quickly and directly; is not afraid to take negative action when necessary.
- Business Acumen: Knows how businesses work; knowledgeable in current and possible future policies, practice, trends and information affecting his/her business and organization; knows the competition; is aware of how strategies and tactics work in the marketplace.
- Drive for Results/Execution: Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently one of the top performers; very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
- Strategic Agility: Sees ahead clearly; can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately; has broad knowledge and perspective; is future oriented; can articulately paint credible pictures and visions of possibilities and likelihoods; can create competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans.
- Decision Quality: Makes good decision based upon a mixture analysis, wisdom experience, and judgment; most his /her solution and suggestions turn out to be correct and accurate when judged over time; sought out by others for advice and solutions.
- Innovation Management: Is good at bringing the creative ideas of others to market; has good judgment about which creative ideas and suggestions will work; has a sense about managing the creative process of others; can facilitate effective brainstorming; can project how potential ideas may play out in the marketplace.
- Developing Talent: Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments; holds frequent development discussions; is aware of each person’s career goals; constructs compelling development plans and executes them; pushes people to accept developmental moves; will take on those who need help and further development; cooperates with the developmental system in the organization; is a people builder.
- Interpersonal Savvy: Relates well to all kinds of people, up, down and sideways, inside and outside the organization; builds appropriate rapport; builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; can diffuse even high-tension situations comfortably.
- Customer Focus: Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvement in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Organizing: Can marshal resources (people, funding, material, support) to get things done; can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal; uses resources effectively and efficiently.
- Priority Setting: Spends his/her time and the time of others on what’s important; quickly zeros in on the critical few and puts the trivial aside; can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal; eliminates roadblocks; creates focus.
- Negotiation Skills: ability to work into a matrix organization and able to influence and persuade, without having a direct authority
- Communication: ability to dialogue and convey effective message through the organization at different levels and across cultural differences; unbiased.
- Financial Acumen: understand business needs and translates into plans and actions with a clear and measurable value proposition.
- Basic understanding of c-GMP’s and EHS&S requirements globally.
- Mature Understanding of Contracting models and its applicability worldwide.
- Ethical conduct: understanding of owning anticorruption practices.