Head, Formulation & Delivery (R&D)
With operations in 35+ nations and ~27,000 employees worldwide, CSL is driven to develop and deliver a broad range of lifesaving therapies to treat disorders such as hemophilia and primary immune deficiencies, and vaccines to prevent influenza. Our therapies are also used in cardiac surgery, organ transplantation and burn treatment.
CSL is the parent company of CSL Behring and Seqirus. CSL Behring is a global leader in the protein biotherapeutics industry, focused on bringing to market biotherapies used to treat serious and often rare conditions. CSL Behring operates CSL Plasma, one of the world's largest collectors of human plasma, which is used to create CSL’s therapies. Seqirus is one of the largest influenza vaccine companies in the world and is a transcontinental partner in pandemic preparedness and a major contributor to the prevention and control of influenza globally.
We invite you to take a look at the many career possibilities available around the globe and consider building your promising future at CSL by becoming a member of our team!
This Head of Formulation and Delivery is responsible for developing strategy, planning, and evaluating vaccine projects (e.g. protein-based, new technologies including RNA, etc.) in the Formulation and Delivery (F&D) field throughout Seqirus. The F&D Head will manage the F&D Research group and be a member of the Research Leadership Team with control of the F&D budget. The Head will serve on cross-functional teams to provide scientific input on core company projects both in Research and Development, as well as evaluate external opportunities. The Head will directly manage external Research formulation and delivery studies.Major Responsibilities:
Develop detailed scientific strategy for research activities that apply to R&D projects
- Present plans to upper management forums for cross-functional approval
- Contribute to the presentations for Research projects
- Contribute to technical reviews through scientific evaluation of Development projects
- Grow and guide the Research team through membership in the Research Leadership Team
Build and manage a world class Formulation and Delivery group and oversee F&D budget
- Oversee day to day activities
- Plan experiments with team and analyze results in context of overall project
- Assure organization is compliant with policies and group continues development
- Generate and support generation of IP for core projects
- Provide support for TD Drug Product and Formulation as needed
Evaluate external opportunities and design experimental plan as needed to demonstrate value
- Identify opportunities by being an active member of the external scientific community
- Review opportunities as provided to Research by other functions or external groups
- Develop and foster external partnerships through academic and industrial networks
Lead scientific interactions with external stakeholders to ensure world class scientific recognition and scientific support of internal programs
- Support pandemic activities for BARDA and CDC with scientific input and leadership
- Actively publish high quality publications in top journals
- Seek external funding as appropriate based on the project needs
- PhD or equivalent in Medical Field
- Minimum 10+ years of experience in Formulation and Delivery field;
- In-depth knowledge, experience and a track record in formulation and delivery of vaccine candidates
- Experience in nanoparticle formulation, lipid chemistry, and preferred experience in molecular biology / biochemistry;
- Excellent reputation within targeted focus areas of research
- Well established relationships into scientific and medical communities and the ability to sustain and develop professional networks
- Strong leadership and communication skills and a demonstrated ability to develop constructive and effective relationships with direct reports, colleagues and senior management.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate research projects and targets to management, customers staff and external stakeholders
- Experienced people leader with proven ability to develop talent and achieve results through teamwork and leadership of others, streamlined execution and innovation in a matrix business unit environment, particularly in a global business
- Ability to create and drive change
- Proven ability to lead and drive complex global research projects
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and to support cohesive short and long term R&D strategies to support the future growth of the company.
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate effectively, and ability to identify and engage internal and external expertise as required
- Strong analytical skills