Senior Project Manager / Project Engineer (Construction)
With operations in 35+ nations and ~27,000 employees worldwide, CSL is driven to develop and deliver a broad range of lifesaving therapies to treat disorders such as hemophilia and primary immune deficiencies, and vaccines to prevent influenza. Our therapies are also used in cardiac surgery, organ transplantation and burn treatment.
CSL is the parent company of CSL Behring and Seqirus. CSL Behring is a global leader in the protein biotherapeutics industry, focused on bringing to market biotherapies used to treat serious and often rare conditions. CSL Behring operates CSL Plasma, one of the world's largest collectors of human plasma, which is used to create CSL’s therapies. Seqirus is one of the largest influenza vaccine companies in the world and is a transcontinental partner in pandemic preparedness and a major contributor to the prevention and control of influenza globally.
We invite you to take a look at the many career possibilities available around the globe and consider building your promising future at CSL by becoming a member of our team!
Manages engineering projects associated with all domestic company sites by coordinating the complete project lifecycle: definition, design, procurement, construction, commissioning, validation and handover. This includes leading project requirements analysis, scope development/consensus, proposal presentation, design development, placement of contracts, and management of contractors, scheduling/tasking of internal resources, control of project schedules, budgets, and issues management.
Process Analysis & Project Definition
- Achieves project scope and definition agreement from department managers to internal subject matter experts and other resources as required for each project.
- Facilitates project requirement analysis workshops to determine the scope of each project. Develops user requirement specifications as required. Coordinates approval by relevant company departments.
- Facilitates definition of requirements for complex equipment (e.g. lab sample handling and testing equipment) and IT systems as required. Facilitates completion of investigative studies for complex equipment and functional descriptions for IT systems.
- Facilitates further design definition with internal staff to determine the required activities in each work area: space requirements, equipment requirements, utilities requirements, material and work flow diagrams, space adjacencies, etc.
- Oversees architectural and engineering work to develop preliminary floor plans and other preliminary design details. Coordinates approval by relevant company departments.
- Formulates preliminary project implementation plans and determines project budgets and schedules.
- Facilitates development of project justification with input from project sponsors.
- Develops Capital Expenditure Proposals and presents to senior management for approval.
Project Coordination and Management
- Mobilized and coordinates internal resources against project schedules
- Oversees architectural and engineering work on design development, including development of all construction drawings and related engineering documentation. Reviews and approves drawings and documentation. Coordinates approval by relevant company departments
- Coordinates and facilitates the preparation of tender documentation for construction contractors and leads the contractor selection process
- Develops or assists with development of Request for Proposal (RFP) documentation for equipment to be purchased by the company
- Oversees order of company equipment. Arranges for Quality Assurance (QA) to conduct vendor pre-qualification audits for specialized equipment.
- Oversees the work of contractors during construction and commissioning to ensure that time, quality and cost requirements are met. Addresses issues as required.
- Oversees validation activities including development, approval and execution of validation plans and protocols
- Oversees raising of purchase orders and approval of invoices are required
- Monitors & reports progress, quality and cost parameters of all projects
- Operations & Maintenance Support: Ensures that operations staff is aware of operational and maintenance requirements for new equipment, providing formal handover documentation as required. Works with internal staff to ensure timely and satisfactory resolution of any issues.
- Facilitates project teams consisting of both internal company domestic staff and external contractors (architects, engineers, construction firms etc.).
- Ensures that finished projects satisfy the requirements of the business and comply with FDA (Food and Drug Administration), GHA (German Health Authority) and other regulatory agency requirements.
- Other job-related occasional duties such as assigned.
- BA degree in Engineering. Mechanical, Industrial, Chemical disciplines or related field or an equivalent combination of relevant work experience and education required equaling up to a minimum of ten (10) years’ experience
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in project management, including design, construction, commissioning and validation of facilities and systems in a Life Sciences Industry environment required
(physical & mental requirements)
- Understands complex problems to collaborate and explore alternative solutions
- Ability to formulate complex and comprehensive materials such as authoritative reports of major scope and impact, etc. and/or to make formal presentations
- Ability to make decisions which have significant impact on the immediate work unit and monitor impact outside immediate work unit
- Overnight travel required up to 80% of the time
- Fast paced environment with frequent interruptions
Note: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, national origin or other legally protected classifications.