Senior Process Engineer
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
A Senior Engineer responsible for providing engineering support for Biologics manufacturing. This engineering professional who, working with little or no supervision, applies scientific knowledge, engineering knowledge, mathematics, to lead equipment and process troubleshooting, manage medium to large projects, and maintain and track area priorities.Senior Engineer has general knowledge of other related disciplines beyond their own area of expertise.
- Plans and conducts medium to large sized assigned projects related to bioprocessing equipment and process improvements. Projects may require identification of scope and determining overall action plan and timeline. Additionally, it requires generation of validated change plans with validation requirements. Able to execute actions of those plans with minimal oversite and independently resolve issues as they arise. Communicate progress to all stake holders through verbal and written communications.
- Perform process monitoring of cell culture and purification operations, as well as Steam in Place (SIP) and Cleaning in Place (CIP) operations. Leads troubleshooting activities and mentors less senior engineering staff to resolve process/equipment anomalies. Describes and communicates required actions to internal and external stake holders with varying levels of technical acumen. Engages with operational staff on the floor in a GMP cleaning room setting to understand what activities are being performed. Leverages extensive process and engineering knowledge to identify issues on the production floor proactively and innovate solutions.
- Leverages engineering and process background to execute facility fit activities independently in support of New Product Introduction (NPI) from clinical phase 1 to commercial projects. NPI activities also include equipment walkdowns, batch record review, Leading technical discussions and working with vendors. It is expected that Senior Engineers are an integral part of the NPI process often bridging the gap between Develop and Operational groups.
- Support capital project execution in the areas of design, validation, FAT, SAT, and specification review, for production equipment.
- Builds relationships, initiates and cultivates open, honest relationships with colleagues, customers, contractors, and vendors by establishing rapport, developing an understanding of others’ needs, promoting common goals, and following through on commitments.
- Conveys information effectively through verbal, written, and presentations to stakeholders and team members, both internal and external to AbbVie, using appropriate communication protocols. Identifies ways to increase customer satisfaction. Documents agreements and commitments and keeps direct customers informed
- Facilitates the definition of a project scope with stakeholders. Converts goals to tasks and steps. Within structure, plans own work, manages several, often concurrent, tasks to accomplish assigned tasks to meet or exceed expectations (cost, quality, time). Participates in basic economic analysis and feasibility studies related to project alternatives under guidance. Jointly responsible for achieving the project’s financial targets in support of business objectives.
Interprets problems and either creates or modifies design solutions. Reviews existing layouts and standards and creates a proposed design. Applies standard engineering principles and methodologies to interpret, draw conclusions and recommend solutions for problems considering a broad range of factors. Improves methods/designs/processes. Recognizes and implements innovations and cost reductions
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering, science, or closely related discipline is desired, or equivalent technical experience plus demonstrated competence, with a desired 5+ years of significant engineering and/or operational experience. A postgraduate education/degree is desired, and may contribute towards the desired years of experience.
- Has demonstrated competency within a discipline.
- Possesses a strong technical knowledge and application of concepts, practices, and procedures. Works on problems of complex scope where analysis of situations or data involves multiple competing factors.
- Demonstrates judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action.
- Interacts well with diverse groups within engineering and maintains strong working relationships with internal and external collaborators.
- Listens to and understands others' points of view and articulates tactfully and respectfully one's own perspective orally, in writing, and in presentations.
- Works well with other engineers in a collaborative, fastpaced goaldriven environment.
- Possesses interpersonal skills to negotiate and reconcile differences.
- Has a technical background in health care, medical devices, pharmaceutical, biologics, or similar industries.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.