Director, Scientific Communications
As part of responsibilities for publications development for Avanir, this individual ensures compliance with the corporate publications policy and standard operating procedures and with external guidelines on good publication practices. Additionally, the Director updates internal stakeholders on publication-related activities.
The Director will work closely with the therapeutic area medical director and participate in cross-functional team meetings to ensure alignment of the publications with the overall Medical strategy and communication objectives.
Essential Job Functions:
- Development of a comprehensive, cross functional strategic publication plan and the delivery of the publications included in this plan, including participation in data analysis efforts, editing and preparation of publications for submission, while ensuring adherence to policies and procedures established by Avanir, journals, and ICMJE.
- Translate medical strategies and objectives into actionable long-term strategic publication plans.
- Ensure endorsement of publication plan by governance bodies prior to execution; continuously evolve plan in conjunction with scientific landscape.
- Demonstrate the understanding of the disease area, medical strategies and objectives necessary to provide strategic input to a broad range of stakeholders on matters related to publication planning & data dissemination/disclosure.
- Implement effective and consistent strategies for engaging external expertise (e.g. Publication Steering Committee) to advise and shape publication plan strategy.
- Lead planning and executing all scientific content around relevant conferences and Medical Booth.
- Manage vendors to ensure deliverables are on time, within budget, and of high quality prior to subsequent internal review.
- Work collaboratively with internal functional partners on Publications and communications strategies as needed to enhance the value of Avanir products.
- Build and lead a high performing, cross-functional Scientific communications team engaged in the planning, integration and execution of medical publication activities.
- Grow department, through development of SOPs / work processes and recruitment of additional key medical talent, when required.
- Support and oversee the development of a scientific training curriculum and field tools for Medical Science Liaisons and Health Outcomes Liaisons.
- Develop/Oversee the development and creation of literature updates.
- Manage the publication budget supporting multiple products and scientific activities.
- Report publication metrics on key objectives to management.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Bachelor’s degree required with a preference in life science, business, journalism, or communication. Advanced degree Master’s, Ph.D., PharmD, or MD strongly preferred.
- At least 10+ years' relevant experience, including 8+ years management experience.
- Able to work independently, with strong leadership skills, and effectively manage teams and projects.
- Strategic and analytical thinker with the ability to plan and design effective product life cycle strategies.
- Ability to negotiate and influence leadership and key opinion leaders in a variety of forums.
- Experience working across a broad range of functional areas and effectively collaborating with Medical Affairs, Health Outcomes, R&D, Regulatory, Legal and Commercial Teams.
- Knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry with a broad range of therapy understanding, and an understanding of the drug development process.
- Proficiency with Word, PowerPoint, and other Microsoft packages is required.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at one time with a sense of urgency.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills with exceptional time management skills are required for this highly visible position
This position primarily works in an office environment. It requires the ability to sit or stand for long periods of time and frequent walking. Daily use of a computer, phone, office equipment and other computing and digital devices is required. May be required to stand for extended periods when facilitating meetings or walking in the facilities. Some local travel may be necessary, so the ability to travel by plane, operate a motor vehicle and maintain a valid Driver’s license and/or effectively navigate public transportation is required. While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee must be able to read and respond to interoffice communications as well as effectively participate in meetings. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers, to lift up to 20 lbs., pull, push, carry, handle or feel. The employee is required to carry, handle items, reach with arms and hands, to stoop, kneel, or crouch; talk or hear. Mental demands may require prolonged concentration, reading comprehension, understanding and interpretation of concepts, ideas and philosophies. The physical demands of the position described herein are essential functions of the job and employees must be able to successfully perform these tasks for extended periods. Reasonable accommodations may be made for those individuals with real or perceived disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job described unless such accommodations would cause Avanir an undue burden.
While performing the responsibilities of the job, these work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the job holder will encounter. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job unless such accommodations would cause Avanir an undue burden. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving carts, mechanical equipment (copiers, computers, coffee machines) and vehicles. May be subject to smells and odors. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. The passage of employees through the work area is average and normal.
As an equal opportunity employer, Avanir Pharmaceuticals is committed to providing all applicants and employees with equal access to employment opportunities, regardless of sex, race, age, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, pregnancy, religion, genetic information, sexual orientation transgender status, gender identity, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. All Avanir Pharmaceuticals employees, officers, principles, agents, and representatives are expressly prohibited from engaging in unlawful discrimination. Consistent with federal, state, and local requirements, Avanir Pharmaceuticals will reasonably accommodate any qualified individual with a disability if such accommodation would allow the individual to perform the essential functions or the job, unless doing so would create an undue hardship.
Avanir Pharmaceuticals shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR-60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of protected veteran status or disability, and require affirmative action by covered prime contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.