Senior Project Engineer
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Irvine Site Facilities team is looking for an engineering professional that is energetic, self-motivated, and an innovative individual. The successful candidate shall possess the skills required to successfully develop and execute project tasks and deliverables, be a collaborative team player, and have a strong drive to deliver with excellence to customers. This person will provide engineering leadership and guidance to develop and implement process concepts and designs on Clean Utilities projects including WFI, USP purified water, clean steam and designs on HVAC, containment systems, steam, hot water, glycol, compressed gasses, chillers, boilers and other projects as needed. The Engineer SME is responsible for coordinating with other engineering disciplines including architects, clean utilities, I&C, electrical and also site personnel to ensure the design requirements are met. Project sizes will vary, and will consist primarily of Bio Pharm/Pharma Facilities & Utilities projects including both renovations / retrofits within existing facilities and new construction projects. The Engineering SME will be responsible for staying current with technology and innovation in the industry related to their expertise as well as maintaining and update the engineering standards and specifications. The successful candidate will be expected to represent AbbVie Systems and Standards in a professional manner.
- Responsible for compliance with applicable policies and procedures. Ensures quality and effectiveness of key results of major projects within function through sound design, early risk assessments, and implementation of fallback strategies. Has full awareness of the potential consequences (defects and failure modes) of design changes to established processes.
- Mitigates risk within functions through sound design, early risk assessments and implementation of fallback strategies.
- Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures.
- Ensures quality and effectiveness of key results of major projects within function through sound design, early risk assessments, and implementation of fallback strategies.
- Has full awareness of the potential consequences (defects and failure modes) of design change to established processes. Mitigates risk within functions through sound design, early risk assessments and implementation of fallback strategies.
- Develops, plans, coordinates and directs engineering aspects of projects across multiple locations that are of major scope and importance. Manages multiple, often concurrent projects and meets expectations. Makes difficult decisions regarding priorities among projects.
- Supports development of project strategy to align and achieve key customer business objectives.
- Contributes to the development of long-term business and organizational strategies.
- Works with customer on project approach / design to optimize asset value. Leads cross functional teams in resolving major project hurdles. Reviews constructability strategy. Anticipates and resolves problems and crisis situations requiring fast, astute decisions with rapid implementation by utilizing technical training and / or experience.
- A Subject Matter Expert in project engineering/project management. Participates on internal, cross-divisional teams to develop and align procedures and standards. Participates on group or divisional task forces. Participates in professional affiliations.
- A Bachelors Degree in Engineering, science, or closely related discipline is required with 6+ years relevant technical experience, or 12+ years equivalent and relevant technical experience.
- A career history marked by a consistent series of contributions and accomplishments. Proven track record of managing projects to completion, using extensive external resources.
- Demonstrated excellence in breadth and depth of knowledge within project management.
- Interacts well with diverse groups within engineering and maintains strong working relationships with internal and external collaborators.
- Listens to and understands others’ points of view and articulates tactfully and respectfully one’s own perspective orally, in writing, and in presentations.
- Works well with other engineers in a collaborative, fast-paced goal-driven environment.
- Possesses interpersonal skills to negotiate and reconcile differences.
- A technical background in health care, medical devices, biological, pharmaceutical, or similar industries (preferred).
Significant Work Activities
Continuous walking for prolonged periods (more than 2 hours at a time in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.