Environmental, Health, & Safety (EHS) Manager
At SAB Biotherapeutics (SAB), we are using the sophistication of science and genius of nature to change the landscape of human health. Our team of scientists, researchers and professionals has made it their life's work–with technology and tenacity–to pioneer a new powerful platform to make an impact that is global + personal. Through advanced genetic engineering and antibody science, we are dedicated to advancing a new class of immunotherapies, leveraging the native human immune response, with first-in-class and best-in-class potential across broad therapeutic categories including autoimmune, inflammation, infectious disease, and immune-oncology. SAB-185, is among the elite therapy candidates for COVID-19, advancing with Operation Warp Speed. As true innovation, our novel platform is also being developed in a rapid response capacity for future pandemic response.
This key employee will assure compliance with environmental, health and safety regulations as required by company policies and compliance organizations including, but not limited to OSHA, EPA, CVM, and AAALAC. This position is responsible for assuring that safety and environmental training programs and policies are administered on a timely and legal basis. This employee will develop and implement plans and initiatives aligned with the company’s overall business strategy, while balancing and adapting to changing needs and dynamics based on safety regulations. Possessing the ability to interface with multiple levels of the organization will make this employee successful. This position will cover all locations and facilities within SAB, including laboratory, clinical manufacturing, and rural animal care.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop, maintain, interpret, and enforce safety and environmental policies, procedures, and programs.
• Assure compliance with all Federal, State and Local governmental regulations including environmental, health and safety, including 29 CFR 1910.
• Develop and lead EHS training for compliance, including conducting new hire employee safety orientation.
• Maintain SDS database through use of online software.
• Coordinate annual projects including, CPR/First Aid response, hearing screenings and vaccinations.
• Drive process improvement efforts to reduce/eliminate risk for workplace injuries. Conduct accident and near miss investigations. Investigate safety concerns to ensure hazards are identified and addressed appropriately.
• Keep up to date with new regulations and requirements. Interact with regulatory agencies to assure ongoing compliance, as well as compliance of any process changes or the addition of new processes to the facilities.
• Assure that all regulatory permits are kept current.
• Maintain complete records for all Federal, State, and Local governmental visits and inspections.
• Maintain familiarity with all equipment for EHS assessments.
• Participate on the Safety Committee and serve as a resource for management and employees on safety-related policies.
• Maintain an inventory of PPE types used by personnel.
• Develop relationships with all levels of the organization to establish trust and credibility.
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Reviews and initiates continuous process improvement. Drives the continuous strengthening of culture by leading with company values.
• Perform other duties as requested by management.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position does not supervise employees.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. This individual should possess the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential.
Education, Experience and Certifications: Bachelor degree in Industrial Safety or related field and/ or equivalent experience in laboratory environment. Minimum of 3 years of Safety experience required.
Language Skills: Must have strong business communication skills. Write technical reports detailing procedures, outcomes, and observations. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook). Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to managers and employees. Must be able to write routine reports and correspondence that project professionalism and competence.
Mathematical Skills: Basic mathematical skills. Must be able to accurately perform entry-level business mathematics.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand, and sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Working Environment: Normal office environment with some exposure to laboratory and rural farm.
ADA: The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.