Associate Scientist -- Assay Development & Biomarkers
Associate Scientist – Assay Development and Biomarkers
Nitrome Biosciences, Inc., is a preclinical stage platform company developing disease modifying therapeutics against a novel class of enzymes to treat age related disorders: neurological, fibrotic, oncology and inflammatory diseases.
We are seeking inquisitive individuals who can thrive in a collaborative and dynamic culture and are steadfast in the commitment to advance cutting-edge science to make transformative medicines for patients with unmet medical needs.
As part of Nitrome Biosciences growth and path towards the clinic, we are seeking to recruit an Associate Scientist with extensive experience in protein purification, LC/MS analysis, and biomarker development and analysis. The successful candidate will develop and perform protein purifications from cell and tissue lysates in order to isolate nitrated proteins and other targets. S/he will send these samples for LC/MS analysis, determine nitrated protein profiles for novel nitrase enzymes, and follow-up with biochemical and cell-based confirmation studies. In addition, the Associate Scientist will work with institutional collaborators to acquire tissues for biomarker analysis for various internal programs and determine optimal biomarkers for specific disease indications.
This position requires enthusiasm and a strong work ethic, the ability to learn new biology and methods quickly, and to problem-solve creatively. The Associate Scientist will use his/her extensive experience in biochemistry and protein purification to characterize novel enzymes as they are discovered, and to ensure high quality data that are accurate and reproducible. The successful candidate will work collaboratively in a cross-functional environment, proactively establish and build relationships with institutional collaborators, and utilize her/his knowledge of drug discovery and development assays to advance programs.
- Develop, optimize and perform protein purification processes using affinity chromatography to isolate nitrated proteins and peptides from cell and tissue lysates; analyze results from LC/MS analysis
- Confirm hits from LC/MS analysis using various biochemical and cell-based assays
- Establish contacts and build relationships with institutional collaborators (academic labs, foundations, vendors, etc.) to acquire biosamples/tissues for biomarker analysis for various internal programs
- Determine optimal biomarkers for specific disease indications using various platforms (MSD, Simoa, ELISA, etc.), working with the SAB, KOLs, and clinicians
- Collect, analyze, and present experimental data regularly at team meetings
- Maintain clear and complete experimental records with an electronic lab notebook
- Support junior research associates as needed
- Ph.D./M.S./B.S. with 5+ years of industry experience
- Proven track record of successful development of protein purification/isolation assays and LC/MS data analysis
- Experience establishing working relationships with collaborators in academia or industry
- Experience developing and running validated assays of clinically relevant biomarkers of target engagement, disease profiling, progression and patient stratification
- Proven ability to generate precise and reproducible data
- Creative problem-solver; ability to quickly troubleshoot problems
- Desire to acquire knowledge and skills in a new area of biology
- Ability to communicate ideas and data in a clear and concise manner
- Strong organization, record keeping with ELN, and priority management skills
- Experience in developing and authoring SOPs and reports
- Close collaboration with a cross-disciplinary teams and external groups to coordinate and drive complex studies
- Ability to thrive as an integrated player in a small team environment
- Contribute to building a culture that encourages bold ideas, embraces scientific excellence, integrity, urgency and self-actualization
- Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications
Nitrome Biosciences is an equal opportunity employer.