DevOps Observability Engineer
The National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) is looking for a strong DevOps Engineer to join our Observability (monitoring, logging and tracing) team to build new monitoring infrastructure and tools for unified monitoring of thousands of cloud and on-premises services and hosts.
NCBI is part of the National Library of Medicine (NLM) at National Institutes of Health (NIH). NCBI advances science and public health by providing free access over the web to biomedical literature and genomic data, making it one of the 400 top most-visited sites in the world. NCBI's diverse staff of smart, talented, and deeply technical people collaborate to build critically valuable services for researchers, physicians, educators, students, and the general public. For example, NCBI develops and delivers PubMed, an index of over 29 million biomedical research abstracts, often with links to full-text literatureand supporting data. NCBI is located in Bethesda, Maryland.
The NCBI DevOps team provides efficient, convenient, scalable solutions for development, deployment, and operations across teams, languages, and
This is a great opportunity to work on challenging problems as part of a dynamic DevOps team, in a technical, scientific, and goal-oriented environment. NCBI offers flexible working hours, remote options, on- and off-site training courses, and conference attendance and tuition reimbursement.
The DevOps team:
- Operates our first-generation DevOps platform based on Nomad, Kubernetes, HashiCorp products, and assorted other tools.
- Advances the DevOps platform by researching and evaluating new technologies.
- Helps other NCBI development teams adopt the platform and apply the best practices.
- Ensures compliance with the Federal application security regulations and standards.
- Maintains high level of education for ourselves and our customers.
- Practices Agile development and continuous improvement.
- Building a new, hybrid cloud Enterprise DevOps platform based on OpenShift, Kubernetes, and solid architectural principles.
Our next iteration of the NCBI DevOps platform will likely use:
- Kubernetes for orchestration
- Docker for containers
- Istio service mesh
- GitLab for CI builds and triggering deployments
- ArgoCD and Argo Rollouts for deployments
- DataDog for test execution and reporting
- Prometheus, InfluxDB, Grafana, and OpsGenie for telemetry, monitoring, graphing, and alerting
- EFK (ElasticSearch, fluentd, Kibana) and proprietary logging framework, for log search, rotation, and reporting
- Artifactory for storing libraries developed internally, as well as container imageGCP, AWS, and on-premises data centers
- GitOps approach for controlling deployment state
- C++, Python, Java, and Kotlin for application development
- GitFlow for source branching model
Duties & Responsibilities
- Engineer, develop and maintain NCBI's Observability Infrastructure
- Work with the Team Lead and peers in Dev Team to design technical solutions and implement them
- Assist other teams in adopting DevOps tooling and best practices
- Help document solutions and SOP
- Practice Agile software development methodology
- B.S. in a STEM field (Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics)
- Alternatively, equivalent industry experience in Software Development
- Requires at least 2 years of DevOps experience
- Strong programming fundamentals
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong knowledge of at least one of the following programming languages: Python, Go, Java, Scala, Rust, C++; and desire to learn new
- Hands-on Linux experience, especially system programming expertise and/or understanding of how container runtimes work
- Cloud provider experience (e.g. GCP, AWS, Azure, etc.)
- Experience setting up or using monitoring systems (Grafana, TICK Stack, Prometheus)
- Orchestrator experience (e.g. Kubernetes, Nomad, Mesos, etc.) or solid understanding
- Kubernetes, OpenShift, or Linux certifications
- Experience using service mesh technologies (e.g., linkerd, Istio) to improve observability of services and infrastructure
- Understanding of distributed systems design principles
- Customer-focused, team-oriented disposition
Strong communication and soft skills to interface with customers, peers and management
- Good judgement, sense of integrity, and responsibility
- GitOps (ArgoCD)
- Any other DevOps technologies, any prior DevOps experience
- Strong presentation skills
- Strong documentation skills
We are a trusted government partner that blends deep domain expertise with advanced technologies to help our customers solve complex problems that improve, protect, and save lives. As a rapidly growing company, we combine entrepreneurial spirit, customer focus, and an outcomes-based approach to support agency missions in health IT, life sciences, public safety, and grants management.
The Dovel Family of Companies offers employees an opportunity to advance beyond a specific role or contract, we offer a path to develop an enriching career. We believe in empowering a culture of innovation, customer success, and employee growth.
What you'll get...
- Time Off! Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow you to take the time you need.
- Investment in YOU! 401(K) company contributions are yours to keep with no waiting period.
- Choices! Unique healthcare plans to choose from with options like fertility and orthodontia benefits.
- Discovery! With our tuition assistance and training programs, we support your career advancement.
- Tax Savings! Enroll in pre-tax Health or Dependent Care Flexible Spending, HSA with company contributions, parking, and/or transit commuter benefits.
- Support! Working parents and busy professionals - we've got you covered with a supportive culture, confidential Employee Assistance Program and a membership to Care.com.
- Perks! Employee discounts, peer recognition programs, company-wide wellness challenges, and fun community events.
- A Voice! A unique culture where you can influence decisions and have your voice heard.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.