DevOps Adoption Technical Lead
Medical Science and Computing (MSC), a Dovel Company, is seeking a dynamic DevOps Adoption Technical Lead to join our team supporting our work at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), NCBI.
NCBI is part of the National Library of Medicine (NLM) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH). NCBI is the world's premier biomedical center hosting over six million daily users that seek research, clinical, genetic, and other information that directly impacts biomedical research and public health - at NCBI you can literally help to accelerate cures for diseases! NCBI's wide range of applications, platforms (node, python, Django, C++, you name it) and environments (big data [petabytes], machine learning, multiple clouds) serve more users than almost any other US Government Agency according to https://analytics.usa.gov/.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Attend customer team meetings
- Participate in the Customer's Agile process.
- Pay close attention to the needs of the Customer from DevOps, communicate them to the DevOps team and try to accommodate them quickly and pragmatically.
- Identify DevOps platform gaps as compared to Customer's needs
- Introduce custom solutions with caution and pragmatism, after discussions with the team.
- Depending on the circumstances, custom solutions may remain custom or they may help evolve the DevOps platform.
- Optimize for speed of product delivery rather than perfection of the solution.
As a member of the DevOps team:
- Stay on top of the DevOps platform development
- Stay in close touch with other embedded DevOps engineers (AKA Embedded DevOps Peers)
- Collaborate with the DevOps Platform Engineers (AKA DevOps core).
- Ensure DevOps Enterprise standards and principles in Customer's solutions
- Ensure DevOps is aware of any new use cases and patterns that you see while working with the Customer.
- Share experience and your solutions with DevOps core and Embedded DevOps Peers.
- Participate in discussions on evolving the Enterprise Platform to accommodate new use cases.
- Help evolve and test the DevOps platform by applying it in the real world.
As a Team Lead:
- Lead a team of Adoption Engineers.
- Collaborate with DevOps Technical Program Manager and Product Manager to clarify adoption strategy and priorities
- Play a role of Scrum Product Owner
- Define product scope with Stakeholders
- Prioritize deliverables
- Prioritize team's work allocation
- Negotiate priorities with Stakeholders
- Plan product releases
- Plan Sprints
- Set expectations with the Customers and for the adoption team
- Set business metrics for the adoption projects
- Strive for Customer Satisfaction, while growing DevOps adoption
- Ensure DevOps platform standards are being met.
- Organize the adoption team as needed
- Ensure team members understand their duties and responsibilities
- Provide coaching and mentoring for the team
- Mentor individual team members, so they can meet and exceed expectations
- Select candidates and interview for staffing open positions
- Administrative supervisory duties: attendance, feedback for performance reviews
- B.S. in a STEM field (Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics)
- Alternatively, equivalent industry experience in Software Development
- Solid programming knowledge in Python, Java (Version 8 and above) or C++
- Over 5 years of DevOps experience
- Solid understanding of CI/CD and experience with Git/Svn, GitHub/BitBucket/GitLab, Jenkins/TeamCity
- Solid Linux skills
- Experience with AWS, GCP or Azure
- Solid understanding of networking, proxies
- Solid understanding of web development
- Solid understanding of distributed systems and micro-services
- Management/Leadership skills
- Customer-focused, team-oriented disposition
- Excellent communication and soft skills to deal with customers, peers and management
- Good judgement, sense of integrity and responsibility
- Experience in playing a Product Owner role for an Agile team
- Presentation skills
- Coaching skills
- Monitoring products (TICK/TIGK stack (Telegaf, InfluxDB, Grafana, Kapacitor), Prometheus, Stackdriver, etc.)
- Logging products (ELK, Splunk, etc.)
- Containers (Docker, rkt, etc.)
- Cluster schedulers and container orchestrators (Kubernetes, Nomad or Apache Mesos)
- HashiCorp products (consul, Terraform, Vault, packer, Vagrant)
- Service Mesh (istio/envoy, linkerd, consul connect)
- Blue/Green and Canary Deployments
- SQL and NoSQL databases
We are a trusted government partner that blends deep domain expertise with advanced technologies to help our customers solve complex problems that improve, protect, and save lives. As a rapidly growing company, we combine entrepreneurial spirit, customer focus, and an outcomes-based approach to support agency missions in health IT, life sciences, public safety, and grants management.
The Dovel Family of Companies offers employees an opportunity to advance beyond a specific role or contract, we offer a path to develop an enriching career. We believe in empowering a culture of innovation, customer success, and employee growth.
What you'll get...
- Time Off! Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow you to take the time you need.
- Investment in YOU! 401(K) company contributions are yours to keep with no waiting period.
- Choices! Unique healthcare plans to choose from with options like fertility and orthodontia benefits.
- Discovery! With our tuition assistance and training programs, we support your career advancement.
- Tax Savings! Enroll in pre-tax Health or Dependent Care Flexible Spending, HSA with company contributions, parking, and/or transit commuter benefits.
- Support! Working parents and busy professionals - we've got you covered with a supportive culture, confidential Employee Assistance Program, and membership to Care.com.
- Perks! Employee discounts, peer recognition programs, company-wide wellness challenges, and fun community events.
- A Voice! A unique culture where you can influence decisions and have your voice heard.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.