Sr. Director, Clinical Operations
As a core member of the Clinical Development Team, the Sr. Director, Clinical Operations contributes to the development of strategic plans for Clinical Development programs. As a member of the Development Team, the Sr. Director, Clinical Operations contributes to development and implementation of the Clinical Development Plan (CDP), Clinical Study Protocol (CSP), and Clinical Study Report (CSR).
Accountable for operational strategic planning, oversight and delivery of all Clinical Operations related activities within the development team and in accordance with the CDP and GCP.
Accountable for providing direction to Clinical Operations staff assigned to the clinical program.
- Makes broad contribution at strategic level including input into risk management plans, business value assessment and therapeutic area indication expertise. Provides strategic operational guidance to ensure trials are properly defined, planned and executed across all clinical stage programs.
- Contributes to the development of clinical asset life cycle and clinical development plans and establishes the operational plan for a new program or study including scenario planning, high level forecasting of timelines, assessment of program level feasibility, estimation of resources and budget based on internal/external benchmarks, and development of high level operational strategies. Reviews the operational plan with the PDT and functional leadership for alignment within the PDT and function. Communicates initial budget, timelines, and changes to internal governance as appropriate.
- Provides proactive innovative and flexible operational solutions and options for the CDP.
- Contributes to global regulatory submissions.
- Participates in licensing/ partnership assessment as needed, providing strategic input as well as operational elements in terms of costs, resources and timelines.
- Accountable for meeting all operational deliverables in accordance with time, cost and quality commitments. Maintains an overview of status, issues, and proactively communicates progress, issues or changes that may impact timelines and costs of the program to all stakeholders. Maintains internal consistency across studies within a program and in alignment with functional standards across programs.
- Contributes to asset management across PDTs as operational asset lead.
- Collaborates effectively with internal and external partners; ensures alignment of operational program to the development team’s goals.
- Provides program guidance to matrix teams within Clinical Operations by providing program specific guidance, clinical trial management expertise, operational strategies, and direction to achieve results. Mentors and guides Clinical Operations staff. Provides timely feedback to functional managers regarding staffing needs and team member performance in the program.
- May be assigned to one or more complex programs.
- May represent Operations or take a stakeholder role in company/function initiatives and regularly contribute to the optimization of existing as well as the development of new processes and resources.
- Responsible for line management and career development of Clinical Trial Managers, Clinical Program Managers, Clinical Trial Assistants
- BS in Scientific, Medical or Healthcare subject required. Advanced degree preferred.
- 12+/15+ years of experience
Skills & Knowledge:
- Extensive pharmaceutical industry and drug development experience including applicable global regulations and industry guidelines. Oncology therapeutic area experience a plus.
- Demonstrated effective global clinical program management across phases l-IV.
- Substantial experience in organization, implementation, and delivery of global clinical programs.
- Thorough understanding of all aspects of clinical drug development, demonstrated experience in strategic planning, demonstrated ability to understand and critically assess the global clinical development plans, protocol design, resource needs, global budgets and timelines for studies and programs.
- Experience in developing teams in a matrix and growing environment.
- Ability to maintain relevant knowledge of business, regulatory, and therapeutic advances that may impact life cycle planning or ongoing operational strategies.
- Meaningful analytical skills, including previous experience with forecasting and analyzing various sources of data. Ability to analyze complex activities and information to arrive at reasonable conclusions.
- Demonstrated leadership, influencing, communication and strategic project management skills.
- Communicates with energy and passion, to engage and inspire others.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and implement clinical development strategies. Ability to anticipate and resolve problems.
- Demonstrated excellent team and interpersonal skills.
- Effective communication skills: fluency in verbal and written English, any other language skills may be an asset.
- Ability to work in a self-guided manner with appropriate consultation as needed.
- Travel: Some to considerable national and international travel will be required.
Arcus Biosciences is an equal opportunity employer.