Senior Medical Director / Medical Director, Oncology Early Development
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products — Imbruvica, Venclexta, and Empliciti — and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in nearly 200 clinical trials in 19 different types of cancer. AbbVie is expanding its oncology early development pipeline. More than 1,000 AbbVie scientists, clinicians, and product developers with strong entrepreneurial roots work across these sites. They combine their expertise in small molecules, immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. This position is located at the AbbVie site either in North Chicago, IL or
Redwood City, CA.
Senior Medical Director / Medical Director, Oncology Early Development
The Medical Director will lead the clinical direction, planning, execution, and interpretation of clinical trials of one or more oncology early clinical development programs. Participates in and may lead cross-functional teams to generate, deliver, and disseminate high-quality clinical data supporting overall product scientific and business strategy. The Medical Director will be focused primarily on early development of the AbbVie antibody drug conjugate pipeline.
- Leads and demonstrates ownership of the design and implementation of multiple clinical development programs (or one large, complex program) in support of the overall product development plan, based on strong medical and scientific principles, knowledge of compliance and regulatory requirements, AbbVie’s customers, markets, business operations, and emerging issues. Oversees project-related education of investigators, study site personnel, and AbbVie study staff.
- Has overall responsibility for leading clinical study teams, monitoring overall study integrity, and review, interpretation, and communication of accumulating data pertaining to safety and efficacy of the molecule. Along with Clinical Operations, is responsible for ensuring agreed-upon study enrollment and overall timelines for key deliverables. Responsible for assessment and reporting of serious adverse events per corporate policy and regulations for those protocols on which assigned.
- Primary responsibility for and ownership of design, analysis, interpretation, and reporting of scientific content of protocols, Investigator Brochures, Clinical Study reports, regulatory submissions and responses, and other program documents.
- May oversee the work of Medical and/or Scientific Directors and of Clinical Scientists working on the same or related programs.
- May serve on or lead Clinical Strategy Teams (CST), with responsibility for development of a rigorous, cross-functionally-aligned, vetted Clinical Development Plan with full consideration of contingencies and alternative approaches. In the role of CST Lead, responsibilities may include supervision of matrix team members and serving as Clinical Research representative to lend clinical development and medical expertise to Asset Development Teams (ADTs) and ADT Leadership Boards (ALBs).
- Serves as an in-house clinical expert for one or more molecules and diseases in the therapeutic area, coordinating and leading appropriate scientific and medical activities with internal stakeholders as they relate to ongoing projects. May participate in or lead clinical development contributions to due diligence or other business development activity. As required by program needs, contributes in partnership with Discovery colleagues to design and implementation of clinical translational strategies.
- Acts as clinical lead and actively solicits opinion leader interactions related to the disease area(s); partners with Oncology Development, Regulatory, Medical Affairs, Commercial and other functions in these activities as required, consistent with corporate policies, to ensure that broad cross-functional perspectives are incorporated into Oncology Early Clinical Development Plans and protocols as appropriate.
- Stays abreast of professional information and technology through conferences, medical literature, and other available training, to augment expertise in the therapeutic area. May represent AbbVie at key external meetings.
- Responsible for understanding the regulatory requirements related to the clinical studies and global drug development and accountable for complying with those requirements. Serves as a clinical representative for key regulatory discussions.
- Ensures adherence to Good Clinical Practices, pharmacovigilance standards, standard operating procedures and to all other quality standards in conducting research.
- Senior Medical / Medical Doctor (M.D.) or non-US equivalent of M.D. degree with relevant therapeutic specialty in an academic or hospital environment. Completion of a residency program strongly preferred. Completion of a subspecialty fellowship is desirable.
- Senior Medical Director: Minimum of 5+ years of industry experience. Preferred 7 years Oncology experience in Biotech/Pharma industry.
- Medical Director: Minimum 3+ years of industry experience. Preferred 5 years Oncology experience in Biotech/Pharma industry.
- Clinical trial experience in the pharmaceutical industry, academia, or equivalent.
- Ability to run a complex clinical research program independently.
- Proven leadership skills and ability to bring out the best in others on a cross-functional global team. Must be able to lead through influence.
- Ability to interact externally and internally to support a global scientific and business strategy.
- Extensive knowledge of clinical trial methodology, regulatory and compliance requirements governing clinical trials, and experience in development of clinical strategy and the design of study protocols.
- Must possess excellent oral and written English communication skills.
- Ability to exercise judgment and address complex problems and create solutions for one or more projects.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 20 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.