Associate Director - Marketing Excellence
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Associate Director will lead the development of marketing training strategy, execution, and curriculum development for 600+ U.S. Area Marketers and Global partner initiatives. This role will have two direct reports to support the execution of the training.
This person will need to have the ability to create, lead and work within cross-functional teams made of participants from U.S. Commercial Excellence, Global Customer Excellence, In-Field Team Effectiveness, U.S. Commercial Marketing and Market Access, Medical Affairs, Regulatory, Legal, OEC, HEOR, Agency Relations, Business HR, and other internal/external partners. Must be comfortable with cross-functional team structure and adept at stakeholder management and influencing without authority. This person will lead initiative, and program, design efforts involving internal and external organizations that involve budgets greater than $1MM.
- Build effective relationships to work collaboratively with senior commercial management, cross-functional partners, training and development and other groups leading AbbVie learning initiatives to drive performance through consistent identification and alignment of stakeholder needs and consistent development and delivery of effective training solutions. Indirect leadership of cross-functional teams.
- Act as an internal marketing consultant to U.S. Commercial Marketing and Market Access teams, transferring knowledge and development and delivery of marketing competency skills and capability training.
- Lead and drive training strategy process with team, including analysis, design, development, implementation and evaluation (ADDIE Model), leveraging innovative and competitive techniques and concepts and working with subject matter experts from different areas of expertise within and outside of the commercial organization.
Accountability & Scope:
- Effectively represent the U.S. Commercial Excellence leadership team.
- Lead by example and build/coach Marketing Training Managers to develop competencies that result in business performance.
- Interact with and influence all levels of U.S. Commercial Excellence in the planning, design and development of learning strategies that will contribute to the achievement of related business objectives.
- Have a passion for driving excellence with a focus on performance results that fosters accountability within self, U.S. Commercial Excellence, and stakeholders.
- Marketing experience managing a brand
- Knowledge of applicable regulations and standards affecting Pharmaceutical Products (e.g. CFR 210/211, cGMP) specifically,
- 8-15 years experience in pharmaceutical / healthcare with demonstrated success in developing and leading effective teams required. Specific experience in marketing, sales and commercial training required.
- Strategic thinking and business planning skills necessary to diagnose needs, develop, direct, and influence commercial training and organizational development strategies.
- Exceptional stakeholder communication skills to develop partnerships and align training with the business strategy.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a variety of individuals at all levels of management, both in marketing and in the field, to gain consensus on training program development and delivery.
- Proven ability to integrate business trends, brand strategies, and marketplace drivers into plans that drive competitive advantage to the organization.
- Knowledge of instructional design systems and/or extensive experience in training, development of training and curriculum design.
- Experience in selling, negotiating and influencing without authority within complex organizations.
- Project management experience, managing cross-functional teams and/or external partners through large projects or initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree required; preferably in science or business administration/marketing to support content development that effectively reflects challenges in the pharmaceutical/healthcare industry.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 20 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.