Assistant Scientific Director
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Responsible to ensure scientific pull through of key medical strategies into communications across multiple channels. Provides support for assigned products and is responsible for designing and implementing training content and programs, developing scientific resources for field medical and affiliates and performing detailed and accurate review of complex advertising and promotional materials while ensuring the highest level of clinical and business competency of the medical teams in support of organizational and franchise goals. Functions in a medical/scientific leadership role within assigned therapeutic area supporting on-market products, new indications/disease states, competitive intelligence and pipeline products. Maintains current therapeutic expertise necessary to serve as scientific, medical, and clinical expert to field medical teams/affiliates, TA teams, brand teams and R&D partners.
- Identifies Insight Trends: Address educational scientific gaps identified through the gathering of feedback from multiple field sources, compile and summarize to provide relevant insights. Communicate trends to the broader therapeutic team.
- Translates integrated brand plan into medical tactics and core communication topics: Responsible for designing a strategically aligned tactical plan, as appropriate for on market products, and pipeline products including new indications/disease states. Develops non-promotional field/affiliate resources and ensures communications are supported by medical communication standards, pharmacovigilance standards, SOP’s and all other quality and compliance standards in Medical Affairs.
- Provides input into externally facing materials for use : (i.e. Congress Booth, Ad Boards, Med Ed) with HCP or EE interactions (Payer, Patients, Prescribers, and Providers); educational initiatives (medical education, data, guidelines, and value proposition)
- Identifies, Designs and implements focused and impactful internal training programs: aiming to shape scientific understanding and medical practice (e.g. for Sales Representatives, MSLs, MOSLs, Affiliates)
- Promotional Material Review: Responsible for performing the accurate and detailed medical review of complex advertising and promotional materials for assigned therapeutic area(s) within Medical Affairs. Provides timely and accurate reviews of promotional materials in accordance with established policies and practice standards, including regulatory guidelines to meet customer needs.
- Actively contributes to medical and brand functional planning including: medical education, EE engagements; and provides strategic medical input into core brand/product strategies. Works with TA Lead to ensure external communication strategies and tactics align with both TA and Commercial Strategies.
- Scientific degree; advanced degree (e.g., MS, PhD, MD/DO, PharmD, NP, MSN) preferred.
- 3-5 years of clinical, scientific/research, or industry related experience or equivalent required demonstrating strong leadership competencies and proven team-building skills with ability to lead in a global matrixed environment. Substantial understanding of relevant therapeutic area required.
- Knowledge of clinical trial design, results and methodology, regulatory and compliance requirements governing development of promotional and non-promotional materials is desirable.
- Ability to interact externally and internally to support global scientific and business strategy.
- Ability to independently evaluate risk and implement strategies that are compliant with applicable regulatory standards pertinent to the promotion of pharmaceutical products
- Demonstrated analytical, conceptual and administrative skills. Excellent communication skills (written and presentation).
- Flexibility and adaptability to organizational change and market demands. Ability to work in a fast-paced corporate environment. High sense of urgency and commitment to excellence in the successful achievement of objectives.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills. Ability to manage multiple priorities and ability to demonstrate good business judgment.
- Strong Project Management and Teamwork skills to address project risks and issues.
- Ability to influence without direct authority to effectively deliver cross-functional projects
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.