Area Medical Operations Lead, EEMEA
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Area Medical Operations Lead provides strategic and operational support and guidance to the Area Medical Affairs Head in developing, aligning, resourcing, and executing functional, operational, and financial priorities ensuring alignment with overarching GMA and Area and key stakeholder projects and strategies.
Location: Primary location is Lake County, Illinois but will consider candidates in Eastern Europe regions
• Serve as primary operational resource for Area Medical Head in managing the overall Medical Operations of the area; key member of Area leadership team representing Global Medical Operations
• Communicate and champion the leadership vision, mission, and objectives of Area Medical and Global Medical Operations. Serve as a positive and visible role model for change - actively engages the Area leadership team to build sponsorship of key initiatives; identify, propose, and track actions to ensure alignment with wider business initiatives.
• Provide leadership necessary for the development, design, operation, and improvement of Area operations, systems, and processes (e.g., area forums and information exchange, Medical systems implementation, business analysis and process management).
• Provides partnership and support to cross-functional business leaders and stakeholders regarding GMA processes, solutions, and initiatives to achieve business objectives.
• Lead the annual strategic planning processes for the Area, ensuring that goals are aligned between the Area, therapeutic areas, GMA and other applicable AbbVie functions and stakeholders. Serve as subject matter expert and project management resource for the area planning process taking a very proactive approach in driving the overall process and providing guidance to the Area and Affiliate teams including timelines, templates, and instructions for long-range planning, medical planning, data generation/clinical trials planning, and annual financial planning and reporting.
• Demonstrate strong business acumen and knowledge of key Area and Affiliate strategies impacting the business priorities and over-all financials for the Area, working closely with various Finance stakeholders for GMA and the respective area; Partner with Area Head and Area Finance in tracking Area annual plan and budget versus actuals; May assist Area Head to highlight key variances to plan and in identifying and managing the factors driving these variances.
• Co-chair the Area scientific review committee for evidence generation. Liaise with various research functions within Global Medical Affairs (e.g., GMA Affiliate Research, Medical Research Support, Area SM&M, local Affiliate research teams) to consolidate the over-all evidence generation plan for the area and ensure understanding of and visibility to clinical studies being executed in countries within respective Area, including study status and progress toward major milestones and budget targets.
• Understand key timelines and Area deliverables for launch readiness aligned to Area Launch Excellence team and serve as resource for operational aspects to Affiliates; partner with GMA Medical Excellence and Customer Excellence group to help drive key initiatives for the Area and Affiliate Medical Affairs teams such as brand planning and In Field Team Effectiveness programs.
• Act as operational resource for new or emerging TAs in Area as structure and resources are being determined and allocated.
• Identification and execution of Area-specific onboarding initiatives to meet specific needs identified during the planning processes to complement general onboarding or training programs provided by GMA.
• Partner with Area Head on core governance bodies and area-wide communications such as Medical Leadership forums supporting the team with developing scope and agenda, identifying contributors, ensuring clear understanding of requirements and expectations, and tracking key decisions and action items.
• Help drive identification and definition of Area KPIs/key metrics and ensure accurate and timely reporting to key business partners at Global/HQ, Area, and Affiliate level; As needed, communicate status of major Area initiatives and KPIs to senior leaders and other key stakeholders; May assist Area Head to highlight key variances to metrics and in identifying and managing the factors driving these variances.
• Maintain operational oversight for key GMA initiatives from Global to Area and Affiliates with keen understanding of the overall implementation plan and timelines, feasibility, and workload/resource impact to Affiliates. Establish strong partnership and collaboration with GMA functions to help shape the scope and strategy of Global initiatives for Area implementation.
• Drive Area initiatives aimed at optimizing efficiencies and identifying synergies across Affiliates as well as drive optimization of Area business processes aligned to Global/HQ. Support consistency in Area TA processes (i.e. highlights, dashboard, Affiliate insights) for respective Area working closely with Global/HQ business owners; Serves as a key contact for issues resolution and liaison between the Affiliate Medical Departments and AbbVie GMA Headquarters
• Harmonize area activities, where relevant, by identifying and promoting best practices within (and across) the areas and driving adoption and utilization of existing tools and resources available for GMA
• University/Bachelor’s degree or higher, with a strong background in health sciences.
• Medical Affairs experience is required. Experience in a senior role in Affiliate Medical Department, Regional Medical Affairs, or working with Affiliate Medical Departments is desirable. Hands-on experience managing and leading groups of processionals is preferred.
• 10 or more years in business operations, project management, or related experience.
• Advanced knowledge of standard business procedures including project management, finance, and budgeting.
• Demonstrated leadership skills with broad business orientation. Ability to command the respect and support of the AbbVie international medical and marketing communities. Experience in managing “virtual” teams (people in remote locations) and cross-functional team dynamics.
• Experience working in a global organization with the ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment and matrix environment.
• Excellent communication, networking, tact and diplomacy, and people skills. Experience in conflict- and problem-solving capabilities.
• Fluency in English and an appreciation of the difficulties and ambiguities in English language usage in the region. Fluency in a regional language is a definite asset.
• Sensitivity to cultural differences and an awareness of differences in medical and clinical practice in the region.
• Rapidly adaptable to a changing environment and willingness to assess and implement new ideas and opportunities.
• Self-starter with vision and initiative and the ability to work unsupervised towards the achievement of challenging goals.
• Sound judgment, strong planning and organizational skills, and the ability to get things done.
• Code of Conduct & Business Integrity
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 20 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.