VP, Clinical Development Operations, Oncology
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The VP of Oncology TA, Development Operations oversees a global organization of more than 100 employees/contractors and is accountable for the strategic and operational design and delivery of all Early and Late-stage Oncology Therapeutic Area clinical research pipeline programs in over 60 countries for AbbVie. Will play a critical role in the leadership, evolution, development and representation of the broader Development Operations organization.
- Provides strategic leadership and direction to the Early and Late-Stage Oncology Clinical Study Leadership organization, a global organization operating clinical studies in 60+ countries and with a staff of 100+ employees and contractors supporting all oncology asset interventional clinical studies. Establishes an appropriate framework and oversight including input into strategy, prioritization, reviews and decision making to maximize the probability of achieving the on time and on budget delivery of clinical programs which is an AbbVie top priority and CEO imperative as well as a critical success factor in realizing the LRP. This position is accountable for the on-time and on- budget operational delivery of all of AbbVie’s worldwide Oncology clinical trials with speed, quality and data integrity.
- Actively participates in Therapeutic Area Strategy Council (TA governance) discussions relating to clinical research operations topics and is accountable to inform and execute TA strategy. Active participation in other Oncology specific leadership or governance forums as required.
- Proactively responds to the needs of other functions and influences appropriately to ensure the successful delivery of the portfolio in alignment with the broader Therapeutic Area portfolio strategy. Successful delivery requires establishing strong relationships working in partnership with key stakeholders across Development, R&D, and AbbVie. Seeks alignment within the organization in order to deliver outputs and achieve the overall strategy.
- Seeks to continually raise the bar for the operationalization of AbbVie oncology study teams, driving both timeline and resource efficiency, partnering cross-functionally for shared learning across the portfolio.
- The VP will seamlessly manage multiple and competing resource and product streams with a focus on financial health and delivering projects on or under budget. Able to reallocate resources with ease in the face of changing priorities while remaining focused on innovation and streamlining processes.
- Brings a “can-do” attitude while being able to respectfully challenge partners and be assertive when necessary around project timelines, finances, and scope; stretches Development Operations to deliver more, while also serving as a gatekeeper for new initiatives and studies when it comes to feasibility, regulatory issues, and prioritization within overall budget and resource constraints.
- Directly leads the Early and Late-Stage Oncology Clinical Operations Therapeutic Area Leaders and their teams. Ensures the recruitment and development of the right talent and Oncology therapeutic area expertise to enable the appropriate level of strategic input into clinical program design and clinical study design. Responsible for the growth and development of talent within the Development Operations global organization; for building upon our One Dev Ops and One AbbVie culture; for building a safe and inclusive environment; for building a diverse, high-performing organization.
- Develops and implements strategic vendor selection and management/oversight program for the wide range of vendors that he used in Early and Late-Stage Oncology clinical development. Is accountable for resolving vendor issues that need to be addressed at the executive level.
- Maintains an up-to-date industry knowledge and future trends in clinical development and operationalization of clinical trials. Participate in Industry leading groups such as Transcelerate and other leadership Forums to advocate the AbbVie position and drive industry level change in the conduct of clinical trials. Ensures AbbVie is on the forefront of driving the change.
- Thrives in ambiguity and able to look at processes from an overarching viewpoint to see what can be optimized; prepared to drive that optimization. Drives continual improvement across Development Operations practices, processes and performance to achieve World Class Clinical Execution while driving transformational change to take and keep AbbVie ahead of the competition.
- A minimum of 15 years of bio-pharmaceutical industry experience in a global pharma organization delivering medicines/therapies to a broad market across various therapeutic areas.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in a scientific discipline or previous experience working directly in a clinical research setting..
- Broad knowledge and track record of successfully managing clinical trial operations through all stages of the drug development lifecycle. Knows what can go wrong and how to proactively prepare for all possible outcomes.
- Direct experience in oncology clinical research across early and late stage programs
- Demonstrated high level of competency in the AbbVie leadership behaviors.
- Big picture and strategic thinker – can formulate a vision of future state and lead the organization to build tactical plans to achieve this. Experience implementing large-scale change and process improvements relating to medical operations and/or clinical trials.
- Excellent collaborator – easily builds relationships and gains cross functional alignment. Experience with cross-functional leadership and a proven ability to influence and get things done within the intricacies of a highly matrixed organization.
- Excellent business and financial aptitude, very analytical and uses data to drive the business and continuous improvements.
- Experience leading scaled global teams; managing and developing talent; leader of leaders who is able to engage, inspire and align large, diverse teams of seasoned professionals.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 50 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.