External Affairs Lead - Japan, Emerging Markets & Australia (JEM&A)
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Position Title: External Affairs Lead - Japan, Emerging Markets & Australia (JEM&A)
Position Reports to: Senior Director, International Government Affairs
Location: Flexible (~60% travel required)
The External Affairs Lead, Japan, Emerging Markets & Australia (JEM&A) will serve as a strategic partner to the JEM&A organization, and provide meaningful, strategic guidance and support to priority affiliates across JEM&A regions (LATAM, EEMEA, JAPAC) to ensure the development and execution of high impact environment shaping strategies that accelerate access, contribute to business goals, and protect our company’s reputation.
This position is responsible for leading government affairs, policy, communications and public affairs to support the JEM&A organization and advance the efforts of its affiliates.
- Maintains deep knowledge of business and access priorities for priority markets and therapeutic area and provide strategic counsel to the JEM&A organization on the political, policy and communications landscape and trends that may impact these priorities. Anticipates challenges and risks, and advises cross-functional counterparts on potential impact, offers recommendations and solutions to mitigate risks.
- Advise and collaborate with key business leaders (Area President and Area Vice Presidents) to support the development and execution of external affairs strategies that support brand priorities, and in particular that address key access barriers in JEM&A – securing alignment with Global, Area and cross functional leadership.
- Promote the development and adoption of optimal external affairs strategies across the JEM&A region to drive key AbbVie business priorities, leveraging best practice and key learnings from global, regional and affiliate colleagues – driving consistency and focus for affiliate external affairs teams.
- Identify international advocacy opportunities, including with the US government, trade associations, multilaterals and other international and regional bodies to advance JEM&A priorities, and proactively drive AbbVie’s agenda where appropriate.
- Support the development of external affairs capabilities across the JEM&A region, developing and implementing key resources to advance and build external affairs capability at Area and affiliate levels.
- Serve as a member of the Global Government Affairs Leadership Team and the Area President’s Area Management Team, providing advice and insight, ensuring key GA input and support on key issues impacting AbbVie business.
- Lead, provide strategic guidance and support the development of the JEM&A External Affairs Team.
- 10 years experience in positions of increasing responsibility government affairs, public affairs or public policy in pharmaceutical and/or health care industry.
- Experience executing external affairs strategies at country or regional level with proven results.
- Ability to integrate political, policy and public affairs expertise to develop effective strategies and implementation plans – that directly support core business objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain high-level relationships with industry peers, key stakeholders to achieve AbbVie’s objectives.
- Ability to lead and develop high performing teams, work well in a team environment and must be able to work collaboratively with business leaders and other internal stakeholders.
- Possess strong analytical, critical thinking and interpersonal skills, the ability to speak and write persuasively and with clarity, strong organizational skills, flexibility and adaptability to changing requirements, resourcefulness and creativity, strong attention to detail, a proven track record of being able to work under deadlines and an ability to work collaboratively in a fluid organizational environment.
- Excellent business acumen with the ability to anticipate company and team needs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills along with knowledge of emerging communications trends and technologies.
- Well-honed political sensitivities and impeccable integrity while having the executive presence necessary to deal effectively with high-profile stakeholders such as elected officials, executives and a variety of external constituencies including governments and leadership of multi-lateral organizations. Should possess high degree of strategic thinking, decision-making, and tactical skills to develop broad strategy and policy, options, and recommendations.
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 15 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.