Associate Director, Immunology, Public Affairs
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Associate Director, Public Affairs (PA) is responsible for developing and executing global public affairs programs for a specific group or function. This position requires the ability to provide clear communications recommendations and counsel to influence the decision-making process. Serve as counselor to management and senior leadership.
- Develop and execute communications strategies and tactics that align with the target functional and that have specific timelines, budgets, stakeholder responsibilities and contingency plans.
- Demonstrate strong understanding of corporate businesses and/or therapeutic areas, industry and competitive landscape to provide effective counsel to management.
- Collaborate with cross functional team members to achieve goals, communicate progress, changes and milestones regularly.
- Oversee the development of PR plans (annual and/or project) to support business growth. Obtain buy-in and secure budget. Oversee implementation of tactical program elements and ensure deliverables are on time/on budget.
- Possess a thorough understanding/awareness of leading/emerging PR tactics and techniques to maximize program impact. Manage agency resources and other vendors to ensure successful completion of projects and assignments within allocated budgets.
- Manage resources/budgets on programming within company financial policies and external policies governing industry practices.
- Serve as spokesperson for designated brands. Oversee the identification and development of internal and third-party spokespeople. Engage and interact with top-tier, consumer and industry trade media, thought leaders and key opinion leaders.
- Manage review process for external communications materials (press releases, statements, response documents, fact sheets, science writer's guides, etc.). Keep various parties apprised of status, timelines and directional shifts to ensure smooth review process and to meet corporate deadlines..
- Bachelor’s Degree (emphasis in communications, marketing, business, IT, public relations, or journalism preferred).
- 10 years’ experience with 5 years in a high-level business or communications and or marketing environment.
- Master’s Degree or other postgraduate work preferred
- Extensive experience working with Senior Management and Customers preferred.
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.