Application Virtualization Engineer
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Provide technical Level III problem isolation and resolution for virtualization technology platforms, may refer to documented processes as needed. Support virtualization operations staff as they require training and support for problem resolution including performance testing, monitoring and configuration. Investigate, identify, and implement state-of-the-art technology platforms that drive productivity and efficiency gains in own function and throughout multiple business areas. Act as a lead engineer in his/her area of expertise and critically evaluate relevant technological advances and integrate this knowledge into new business technology solutions.
- Responsible for compliance with applicable corporate and divisional policies and procedures.
- Responsible for providing operational support by proactively monitoring, troubleshooting and maintaining virtualization platform deployments.
- Keeps key stakeholders informed through effective verbal and written communication
- Matures and leverages relationships with affiliates, customers, and peers in accordance with AbbVie Values, to further the mission, vision and goals of the organization
- Responsible for VM deployments, coordinating all technical resources necessary to complete tasks
- Secures relevant information: Analyze customer needs, gather information from multiple sources to understand problems; analyze and identify irregularities before major problems occur, documenting relevant data into a tracking system
- Responsible for security of the platforms, and environment. Possesses an understanding of Border Networks (Internet, Intranet, Extranet), and the infrastructure associated with it to include Load Balancing, Firewalls, Intrusion Detection, Authentication systems and VPN
- Participate in and coordinate technical resources for disaster recovery planning and testing for infrastructure and client business applications
- Research and maintain a comprehensive knowledge of new technologies and strategies in the virtualization industry
- Understand and adhere to corporate standards regarding applicable corporate and divisional policies, including code of conduct, safety, GxP compliance, data security and the software development life cycle
- Bachelor’s Degree, technical institute degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or other related field
- Typically 6 - 8 years of IT work experience in virtualization technologies
- Possess thorough theoretical and practical understanding of own discipline
- Strong capabilities to evaluate and test vendor upgrades, hot fixes and service packs against current deployments of virtualized infrastructure
- Excellent written and oral English communications skills
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.