HVAC / Building Automation System (BAS) Performance Engineer
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The HVAC/BAS Performance Engineer provides expert level technical leadership for HVAC system controls, performance, and Building Automation System (BAS) for Lake County Facilities Management. The primary objective of this position is to analyze and optimize HVAC equipment and related systems for peak energy performance and to provide technical support for daily demand activities to resolve problems and issues to maintain optimal efficiency and operations of HVAC systems. The primary interface with the BAS is through LC Site Operations site standard Siemens front end application called Insight. The engineer in this position is required to have expert level skills in the application and be regarded as the System Administrator. Additionally, the Insight application has become obsolete and no longer supported by the vendor. The engineer in this position will be instrumental in taking the lead in transitioning from Insight to the next generation front end application called Desigo. The engineer will provide technical leadership and project management support for upgrade projects in the long-range plan to bring the BAS up to current industry standards so that it provides reliable service. The engineer has the additional core job responsibilities to sponsor energy reduction related projects and promote enhanced HVAC efficiency programs and practices. Furthermore, this engineering position will also provide technical leadership and project management support to Project Engineers to implement energy reduction initiatives through capital upgrade projects.
- Proactively investigates and provides HVAC Controls solutions for improved performance, energy conservation, and cost.
- Support Process Control/Building Automation Engineer in consulting with Information Technology groups to provide strategic guidance on developing and improving networking resources and enterprise system architecture.
- Assesses emerging or new controls methods, technologies, and operational concepts for practical application to Lake County for energy conservation, cost reductions, or performance improvements.
- Function as a BAS consultant and resource to clients, maintenance organization and facility engineers to provide daily technical support.
- Establishes and directs regular and systematic performance surveys using Building Automation System data to ensure continued acceptable levels of HVAC system performance and adherence to site standard practices and in support of formal system acceptance for project close outs.
- Provides technical review of HVAC and Controls projects for overall impact, viability, and adherence to site established standards and practices.
- Provides diagnostic assessments of operational HVAC and Controls issues to resolve long-standing and complex problems.
- Acts as the System Owner/Administrator of the Lake County BAS to ensure proper operation, performs user/group administrative and security permissions tasks and routine system maintenance that ensures system reliability that reduces downtime.
- Is identified as a Subject Matter Expert in the discipline and participates in internal, cross-divisional teams to develop and align procedures and standards.
- Maintains expert level of expertise in sequence of operation and complex system operations as applicable to Lake County HVAC and related mechanical systems.
- A Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, science, or closely related discipline is desired, or equivalent technical experience plus demonstrated competence, with a desired 8+ years of significant engineering and/or operational experience. A post-graduate education/degree is desired and may contribute towards the desired years of experience.
- Possesses a strong technical knowledge and application of concepts, practices, and procedures. Works on problems of complex scope where analysis of situations or data involves multiple competing factors. Exercise’s judgment and advises management as to the appropriate actions.
- Interacts well with diverse groups within engineering and maintains strong working relationships with internal and external collaborators.
- Listens to and understands others' points of view and articulates tactfully and respectfully one's own perspective orally, in writing, and in presentations.
- Works well with other engineers in a collaborative, fast-paced goal-driven environment.
- Possesses interpersonal skills to negotiate and reconcile differences.
Has a technical background in health care, nutritional products, laboratory diagnostics, medical devices, pharmaceutical, or similar industries (preferred).
- Has demonstrated competency with financial systems and in fiscal control.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.