Director, Biologics Discovery
This is an exciting opportunity to be a key contributor at ChemPartner, a leading Shanghai based Contract Research Organization specializing in drug discovery services. As more and more Pharma and Biotech companies look for alliance partners to increasingly provide intellectual contributions and exceptional technical expertise, ChemPartner is uniquely positioned to not only be a LifeScience CRO, but to be a pharmaceutical alliance partner. With a team of over 2000 experienced scientists, hundreds of western-trained pharmaceutical industry leaders, and experienced Pharmaceutical Executive Leadership at the helm, ChemPartner is aligned and dedicated to technically and strategically accomplish the research initiatives of Pharma and Biotech companies from around the world. Further information can be found on our website at www.chempartner.com.
This position will be based at ChemPartner’s South San Francisco facility with occasional trips to Shanghai, China.
We are seeking a leader for therapeutic antibody discovery at ChemPartner using the highly automated and robust Beacon single-cell B cell cloning platform from Berkeley Lights (https://www.berkeleylights.com/). The incumbent will present the capabilities to clients, brainstorm on target specific screening strategies, draft proposals with timelines and budget and lead the B cell cloning team to execute and deliver the desired antibody candidates. The successful candidate must possess a combination of strong technical, project leadership, functional leadership and strategic vision to expand on the functional screening capabilities on Beacon and work effectively across a broad spectrum of biological targets and therapeutic areas.
ChemPartner offers a strong compensation package including salary, 401(k) and a comprehensive benefits package etc.
- Support Business Development efforts by presenting ChemPartner Biologics and B cell cloning capabilities to clients and at conferences or hosted webinars to disseminate biologics capabilities at ChemPartner.
- Lead the B cell cloning technical team in South San Francisco by supporting technical troubleshooting, execution, logistics and resource planning and supporting the career growth and development of the team
- Work collaboratively with client to define design goals, immunization strategies, brainstorm on cell and bead based assays on Beacon, draft custom study proposals with appropriate costs, time lines and activities.
- Design proof of concept studies to expand functional screening capabilities on Beacon to move function forward in the discovery process and present findings at conferences or hosted webinars
- Lead cross functional antibody discovery teams out of South San Francisco and/or Shanghai, including coordinating meetings, presenting technical updates to clients and documenting discussions and action items in minutes
- Support Business Development efforts by presenting ChemPartner Biology capabilities to new clients
- Provide technical due diligence on new technology or target ideas for collaboration projects
Ph.D. /MD with 10+ years or MS/BS with 15+ years industry experience in therapeutic antibody discovery and expertise in immunology, molecular biology, biological sciences or related field.
Highly motivated scientific leader with a proven track record in antibody discovery and engineering, preferably with B cell cloning and cell-based assay development expertise. Knowledge and experience in BLI Beacon platform are a plus, but not required.
Ability to apply deep understanding of biology across multiple therapeutic areas to design and execute antibody discovery strategy
Vision for the future of B cell cloning capabilities at ChemPartner, including expanding functional assay capabilities, cross-species capabilities and leveraging new technologies to continue to grow the capability
A keen eye for critical path, providing scientific oversight and direction to the B cell cloning group as well as enabling go/no go decisions for projects
Experience managing cross-functional antibody discovery teams, including PhD scientists, and advancing therapeutic candidates
Manage and mentor scientists, including PhD level members, with emphasis on people development and execution of B cell cloning workflow on and off the Beacon, assay development and troubleshooting efforts
Strong communication skills, both oral and written, in English. Ability to communicate in Mandarin would be advantageous, although not imperative.
The incumbent will be required to focus on multiple issues at one time, and must have the ability to organize and direct diverse activities in a changing environment, often under time pressure.
With a mature, self-confident and well-balanced personality, it is essential that the candidate also possess a high standard of ethical and intellectual integrity.
Please send your resume quoting reference number 21003B in the subject line.