Director of Engineering - Research and Development Informatics
Amgen is seeking a Director of Engineering to join the multi-site Research and Development Information Systems (R&D IS) organization. The Director will lead the development of scientific software platforms and solutions for R&D to unlock biological insights. The position can be based at either Amgens Thousand Oaks, South San Francisco, Tampa, or Burnaby campus.
In this role, you will be part of the team which plays a critical role in advancing the drug product pipeline by providing innovative technology and data solutions for R&D. The R&D IS team partners with R&D teams globally to develop innovative solutions to accelerate and grow Amgens pipeline of biopharmaceuticals. Our success in informatics is driven by our dedication to our patients, our business clients, and to leverage technologies in differentiated ways that deliver critical business value.
- Develop the vision and roadmap for the R&D software ecosystem to address the scientific objectives of the R&D organization
- Manage the R&D information model and data assets to ensure data integrity, reliability, and interoperability
- Shape and execute the IS Digital strategies to advance the R&D Digital Transformation through Amgen's Accelerated Digital Innovation initiatives
- Drive the development of technical strategy and establish unified principles for software development to advance scientific data analysis platforms for efficiency and scale.
- Build, Manage, develop, and retain excellent engineering teams to create and deploy state-of-the-art software products
- Create, own, and execute compelling business cases for technology investments to accelerate value-driven informatics through modern engineering capabilities.
- Accelerate implementation of IS strategy to leverage data and city planning core platforms and demonstrate a balanced portfolio of cost-effective and innovative solutions to support advances in Sciences.
- Strengthen external networks to ensure strategies are developed with appropriate consideration of global factors, competitive intelligence, and awareness of new possibilities offered by information technology
- Mentor staff across the function to ensure alignment with overall IS strategy
Doctorate degree and 4 years of Informatics and/or Information Systems experience
Masters degree and 8 years of Informatics and/or Information Systems experience
Bachelors degree and 10 years of Informatics and/or Information Systems experience
Associates degree and 10 years of Informatics and/or Information Systems experience
4 years of managerial experience directly managing people and/or leadership experience leading teams, projects, programs or directing the allocation of resources
- Degree in Computers Science or Computer or Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- Software engineering experience with hands-on software development experience
- Experience leading highly technical staff, understand how to effectively collaborate in a matrixed organization, and demonstrated superb interpersonal skills
- Strong experience in DevOps, Data Modeling, Data Engineering, Cloud & API technologies
- Strong background in data standards, ontologies, and best practices for data governance. Familiarity with the FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, and Reusable) data guiding principles
- Experience working in large scale-multi dimensional databases, complex business infrastructure, and cross-functional teams
- Experience with data pipeline architectures, software, and data product scaling
- Knowledge of advanced methods such as data science, artificial intelligence, and machine learning
- Strong written and oral communication skills and scientific domain expertise to be able to communicate effectively with scientific partners, IS Executive leadership, and develop organizational change strategies
- High learning agility, innovation, and problem-solving skills
We understand that to successfully sustain and grow as a global enterprise and deliver for patients we must ensure a diverse and inclusive work environment.
Our culture is what makes Amgen a special place to work. We have a powerful shared purpose around our mission to serve patients. We respect one another, recognize contributions, and have embedded collaboration, trust, empowerment and inclusion in all that we do.
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve peoples lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the worlds leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.
Join UsIf you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.