Senior Scientist I/II, Analytical Chemistry - ARD
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
AbbVie Analytical Research & Development (Analytical R&D) is a global analytical sciences organization responsible for all CMC analytical activities related to the development of AbbVie's pharmaceutical products. Our scope includes AbbVie's diverse pipeline of innovative small molecule and therapeutic biologic medicines and spans from the selection of Discovery candidate molecules through the transition of analytical methods and testing to commercial labs to support product launch. We are building a world-class team of scientists and leaders who will drive the advancement of industry-leading analytical capabilities and make substantial contributions to advance AbbVie's pipeline of innovative medicines. Careers in AbbVie Analytical R&D provide unique opportunities to work with global and cross-functional teams to drive exceptional science and innovative product development strategies. We are looking for diverse candidates with strong scientific and leadership experience to join the AbbVie Analytical R&D team and can offer exciting and rewarding career opportunities for these candidates.
- Responsible for method development, testing procedures, and implementation of analytical control strategies to help the advancement of drug discovery candidates.
- Apply analytical separation and detection modes for complex impurity profiling of pharmaceutical products to further the understanding of emerging cGMP manufacturing processes.
- Responsible for leading the analytical aspects of a project while working with other functional areas to advance projects through the development pipeline.
- Utilize understanding of a range of analytical techniques to conduct research and development studies related to small-molecule drug products, active pharmaceutical ingredients, intermediates, starting materials, impurities, and impurity profiling.
- Support new product development with advanced methods development and validations, technical transfer packages, and generation of technical data in support regulatory requirements.
- Highly autonomous and productive in performing laboratory research or method development, requiring only minimal direction from or interaction with supervisor.
- Formulate conclusions and design follow-on experiments based on multidisciplinary data.
- May initiate new areas of investigation that are scientifically meaningful, reliable, and can be incorporated directly into a research or development program.
- Process, interpret, and visualize data to facilitate project team decisions.
- Communicate and collaborate with cross-functional groups and departments.
- Routinely demonstrate scientific initiative and creativity in research or development activities and maintain a high level of productivity in the lab.
Level and compensation will be commensurate with experience.
- Bachelors, Masters, or Ph.D. in a scientific field and typically 10-12 (BS), 8-10 (MS), or 0-4 (Ph.D.) years related industry experience.
- Strong technical background in analytical chemistry, excellent analytical problem-solving skills. Capable of independently developing and troubleshoot analytical methods.
- Hands on experience with HPLC analysis and method development along with expertise and fundamental understanding of spectroscopic techniques.
- Self-motivated, hard-working, detail-oriented individual able to work in a fast-paced team environment.
- Experience in the use of computerized data handling systems.
- High-quality written and oral communication skills and ability to interact effectively with interdisciplinary scientists and engineers.
- Advanced degree in Analytical Chemistry
- Understanding of cGMP and regulatory requirements
- Practical knowledge of organic structure, functional groups, chemistry, and modern spectroscopic techniques as applied to small-molecule analytical analysis.
Key Leadership Competencies
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.