Director, Strategic Management - Chief of Staff, DDST
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Director, Strategic Management plays a leadership role with the VP of Drug Discovery Science & Technology (DDST) and the Drug Discovery Science & Technology Leadership Team (DDST-LT). Drug Discovery Science & Technology is a core Functional Area within Discovery Research that integrates chemistry, biology, and technology platforms to advance the AbbVie pipeline. We partner with disease area experts in our Therapeutic Areas to develop and drive drug discovery programs across Biologics and Small Molecules platforms.
The incumbent will act as Chief of Staff to the VP and as strategist, consultant, and implementer to ensure streamlined processes that drive strategy within the organization based on business priorities. Under the guidance of the VP, the incumbent is responsible for leading development of the long-range plan for DDST. Achieving these goals requires a combination of excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills, broad strategic thinking, and an ability to synthesize inputs and drive alignment in complex situations.
- Directly supports the VP, Drug Discovery Science & Technology with development, communication, execution, and management of strategic initiatives as well as ensuring operational excellence across the organization.
- Serves as a core member of the DDST-LT as a strategic thought partner with VP and other leadership team members. Responsible for the agenda and areas of focus, driving the overall long-term area strategy.
- Provides strategic input into the development of cross-functional long-range plans and evaluation of potential Discovery initiatives.
- In collaboration with relevant functions, drives internal and external stakeholder assessments in order to anticipate changes in the external environment.
- Partners with DDST-LT to identify, prioritize, and nurtures external collaborations (consortia, academic and scientific collaborations, key scientific leader advisors, etc.) in areas of strategic interest.
- Manages change and transformation to improve organizational effectiveness and deliver on strategic goals. Maximizes opportunities to capture institutional knowledge, highlight best practice, and share learnings across sites and teams.
- Maintains and optimizes the area’s business strategy through strong collaboration with Finance, Business Management, and Discovery Leadership.
- Effectively frames complex issues for decision-makers and peers. Prepares and delivers effective management presentations to AbbVie Leadership. Draws upon personal knowledge of business processes, global regulations, organizational improvement methods, and communication tools to drive operational excellence.
- Bachelor of Science or equivalent degree required. Advanced degree in a Physical Science preferred (e.g., MS or Ph.D), MBA, or Project Management Institute (PMI) Project Management Professional (PMP) certification.
- Minimum of 10 years (15+ years preferred) of research/development, commercial, project management, portfolio management, business development, or related experience in the pharmaceutical or technology industry with a track record of success.
- Recognized team player with strong business acumen and negotiating skills; able to leverage business principles to support Discovery-wide and enterprise initiatives. Proven leadership skills to lead and influence cross-functional matrix teams.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.