Sana Biotechnology, Inc. is seeking a talented and team-oriented Payroll Manager responsible for customer-focused, efficient delivery of payroll services, payroll tax administration, payroll stock administration, and the timely, accurate and compliant delivery of payroll processing. This position is the subject matter expert for all payroll matters, providing expertise on complex issues and providing hands-on execution. Critical to this role will be the ability to effectively multi-task, demonstrate accountability, be highly self-motivated and collaborate with both internal and external stakeholders to deliver the best payroll solutions. Successful candidates will be self-starters, thrive in a fast-paced environment, excel at managing multiple priorities and succeed in communicating with all levels within the organization.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for accurate and timely processing of multi-state exempt and non-exempt bi-weekly payroll using ADP Workforce Now
- Ensure systems and internal controls support all applicable labor laws, regulations, and company policies
- Ensure accurate quarter and year end processing including federal, state and local tax reconciliations (941, 940, W-2, etc.)
- Partner with People Operations in writing and updating payroll policies and procedures, e.g. PTO, LOA, disability, government regulations, withholding exemptions, etc
- Coordinate and monitor interfaces and accuracy between People Operations and Payroll.
- On a monthly basis, review and perform variance analysis on all compensation related expenses, both cash and expense
- Stay informed of any regulatory changes and implementation of various tax changes
- Process equity transactions, ESPP, and relocation reimbursements through ADP as needed
- Responsible for leading various payroll audits and controls throughout the year as required
- Coordinate with Accounting team on month end close responsibilities, including preparation of journal entries and accruals
- Responsible for managing payroll system maintenance, including assisting with the integration of ADP and the Company's equity system
- Assist with employee expense reimbursement using Expensify as needed
- Support strategic and cross functional projects, including evaluating current processes and suggesting improvements and efficiencies
- A bachelor's degree in accounting or finance, or equivalent experience
- 7+ years of experience processing payroll, at least 3 at a publicly traded company
- Comprehensive understanding of federal laws and payroll practices
- Previous payroll management experience in multi-location multi-divisional environment
- High level of accuracy, confidentiality, and attention to detail
- Strong working knowledge of Excel
- Working safely in person on a predictable and regular in-person basis is an essential job function for this position and the Company requires that all individuals working in-person, subject to certain exceptions, be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- Knowledge of SOX Controls
- Experience with ADP Workforce Now payroll system
- Is flexible and adaptable - demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced working environment and work diplomatically and tactfully with others
- Proven capability to appropriately challenge status quo, drive and support innovation- including new ideas to streamline and enhance processes rather than solely implement current tactics
- An inclusive individual who thrives in a team-oriented and collaborative environment
- Demonstrate Sana's core values (Lead from every seat, Thrive as a team, Make it happen)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
At Sana, we believe that a diverse workforce strengthens us as a company and helps us to achieve our mission to meaningfully change the outcome of many human diseases. This belief is a pillar of our business and is critical to our success. Our goal is that Sana is the place for talented people to bring their authentic selves to work, to have a great career and to deeply, positively impact patients.
The Company is committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental or sensory disability (including the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability), genetic information, actual or perceived HIV or Hepatitis C infection, medical condition (cancer or a record or history of cancer and genetic characteristics), marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), disability, veteran status, political ideology, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.