Senior Python Developer
The Human Genotype and Phenotype (dbGaP) is searching for a Senior Python Developer to support the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This is a full-time position located at the NIH campus in Bethesda, MD.
The Human Genotype and Phenotype product offering is the largest publicly-funded and free archive of it's kind in the world. We collect and host data across > 2 million samples and 1,100 studies, billions of phenotype values, and trillions of genotypes. We have over 10 years in operation with more than 45,000 approved request and 5000 researchers using our applications world-wide.
The Senior Python Developer will work as a member of the dbGaP Software Development team and support our efforts to modernize and enhance our existing application code and develop new solutions for the dbGaP product offering.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Contribute to the design, development and maintenance of the dbGaP product line
- Ability to deliver fully-tested, production-ready, cloud-ready or cloud-hosted applications in Python
- Designing web-based solutions, writing, and testing code, automating tests and deployments
- Providing end to end solutions by analyzing requirements, devising solution design and implementing solutions
- Collaborating with other technology teams to ensure integrated end-to-end design and implementation
- Enforcing existing process guidelines; driving new processes, guidelines, team rules, and best practices
- Ready, willing, and able to pick up new technologies and software development and delivery practices
- Bachelor's degree and/or its equivalent required.
- Minimum 8-10+ years' related experience.
- Strong application development background using Django framework. 3+ years of experience developing in Django Python Web Framework.
- A solid understanding of Django Rest Framework. Experience with building and operating a modern REST API.
- Significant experience working with ORM technologies like Django ORM or SQLAlchemy.
- Work experience as a Python developer using packages such as pandas, NumPy etc.
- Experience with Celery and RabbitMQ
- Experience using the different services provided by cloud service providers, especially AWS or GCP.
- Proficient in Agile Software Development methodology, processes, and practices.
- Experience with test automation using Pytest, mocks and Selenium.
- Hands-on experience with Jira, Git, TeamCity, or other CI/CD tools.
- Familiarity with secure coding guidelines and standards.
- Effective communication in person and over text.
- Comfortable working with Linux command line tools and bash shell.
- Experience using Apache Airflow
- Experience using container and orchestration solutions, particularly Docker, Kubernetes or OpenShift
- Experience with GitLab CI
- Behavior-driven development (BDD) / automated testing and deployment
- Familiarity with tools and processes that evaluate and improve software security
- Experience in processing large amounts of data
- Experience in maintaining C++ applications
We are a trusted government partner that blends deep domain expertise with advanced technologies to help our customers solve complex problems that improve, protect, and save lives. As a rapidly growing company, we combine entrepreneurial spirit, customer focus, and an outcomes-based approach to support agency missions in health IT, life sciences, public safety, and grants management.
The Dovel Family of Companies offers employees an opportunity to advance beyond a specific role or contract, we offer a path to develop an enriching career. We believe in empowering a culture of innovation, customer success, and employee growth.
What you'll get...
- Time Off! Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow you to take the time you need.
- Investment in YOU! 401(K) company contributions are yours to keep with no waiting period.
- Choices! Unique healthcare plans to choose from with options like fertility and orthodontia benefits.
- Discovery! With our tuition assistance and training programs, we support your career advancement.
- Tax Savings! Enroll in pre-tax Health or Dependent Care Flexible Spending, HSA with company contributions, parking, and/or transit commuter benefits.
- Support! Working parents and busy professionals - we've got you covered with a supportive culture, confidential Employee Assistance Program and a membership to Care.com.
- Perks! Employee discounts, peer recognition programs, company-wide wellness challenges, and fun community events.
- A Voice! A unique culture where you can influence decisions and have your voice heard.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.